[comp.os.research] Non-volatile Memory--EEPROM

munck@chance.uucp (Robert Munck) (11/18/89)

In <3004@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> davidb@inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) writes:

>Try looking at "Flash EPROM" devices. These are either bulk or
>sector erasable (most require 12v Vpp but some from ATMEL are
>5v only) and can be programmed byte-by-byte. The best have
>10,000 program-erase cycles and the cheapest cost about $160/Megabyte.
>Much cheaper than full-featured EEPROM.
>
>Some new handheld computers (for instance the new one from Scion in
>England) use Flash-EPROMS for simulated disk.
>
>Manufacturers: Intel, Seeq, Atmel.
>Future manufacturers: TI, Toshiba, NEC, SGS-Thomson Microelectronics.
>
>David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
>Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
>+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

Here's an interesting problem; design a file system manager to get the
maximum use from a disk simulated with Flash-EPROMS.  Assume "typical"
MS-DOS disk usage statistics -- files added, edited, deleted.  I think
you'd have to assume availability of a static RAM memory with no limits
on erase cycles, maybe 1/16 the size of the EPROM memory.

The size of the minimum erasable block -- "sector" -- is probably an
important factor.  Also, I'd like to know some real price and erase
cycle limit values; from the way it's phrased, I doubt that the 10K
cycle chips cost $160/MB.

Cute problem; I wish I was still teaching OS design so I could hand it
to a bunch of bright kids as an assignment.
                 -- Bob <Munck@MITRE.ORG>, linus!munck.UUCP
                 -- MS Z676, MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA 22120
                 -- 703/883-6688

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (11/20/89)

In <3004@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> davidb@inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) writes:
In article <9804@saturn.ucsc.edu> munck@chance.uucp (Robert Munck) writes:
[Flash EPROM devices for simulated disks; $160/Mb]

How about very slow, very low power, high-density, battery-backed CMOS
RAMs?  They might be cheaper and wouldn't bite the 10,000 cycle
limit.

	;-D on  ( If memory serves me correct )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo