[comp.os.research] message-passing vs shared memory

mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) (11/12/89)

 I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
 for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
 to be equivalent in power. I that thought maybe someone in the net
 can lend a hand, which I'll appreciate very much.

 I barely remember it was included in one of the LNCS volumes,
 but I might be wrong.

   Thanks in advance

   Victor M. Grado
   mendozag@ecn.purdue.edu

scott@cs.rochester.edu (Michael Scott) (11/15/89)

In article <9745@saturn.ucsc.edu> mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) writes:

|  I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
|  for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
|  to be equivalent in power. I that thought maybe someone in the net
|  can lend a hand, which I'll appreciate very much.
|
|  I barely remember it was included in one of the LNCS volumes,
|  but I might be wrong.
|
|    Thanks in advance
|
|    Victor M. Grado
|    mendozag@ecn.purdue.edu

You're probably refering to the classic Lauer and Needham paper:

%A H. C. Lauer
%A R. M. Needham
%T On the Duality of Operating System Structures
%J ACM Operating Systems Review
%V 13
%N 2
%P 3-19
%D April 1979
%O Originally presented at the \f2Second International Symposium on Operating
Systems\fP, October 1978

You might also be interested in a little technical note I wrote back when
I was a grad student:

%A M. L. Scott
%T Messages v. Remote Procedures is a False Dichotomy
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices
%V 18
%N 5
%D May 1983
%P 57-62
--
Michael L. Scott
University of Rochester    (716) 275-7745

mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) (11/17/89)

In article <9745@saturn.ucsc.edu> I write:

> I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
> for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
> to be equivalent in power.

   Here is the citation of this highly recommended paper:

   Hugh C. Lauer, Roger M. Needham
   ``On the Duality of Operating System Structures''
   Second Int'l. Symposium on Operating Systems, IRIA 78,
   reprinted in Operating Systems Review 13(2) April 79, pp:3-19

   Thanks to the many fine folks who replied!

       Victor M. Grado
       School of EE, Box #62
       Purdue University
       West Lafayette, IN 47907
       mendozag@ecn.purdue.edu
       ...!pur-ee!mendozag

jacob@ntvax.uucp (Tom Jacob) (11/17/89)

In article <9745@saturn.ucsc.edu> mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) writes:

> I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
> for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
> to be equivalent in power. I that thought maybe someone in the net
> can lend a hand, which I'll appreciate very much.

How about

     H.C. Lauer and R.M. Needham, On the duality of operating system
     structures, reprinted  in Operating Systems Review, vol. 13, no. 2,
     (1979), pp. 3-19

Tom Jacob
Department of Computer Science
University of North Texas

jacob@dept.csci.unt.edu

pcg@emerald.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/18/89)

In article <9745@saturn.ucsc.edu> mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) writes:

    I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
    for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
    to be equivalent in power.

Not just equivalent in power; actually different ways of doing
exactly the same thing, with exactly the same runtime behaviour
and efficiency. It is even demonstrated how a program written in
one style can be easily converted to the other...

    I that thought maybe someone in the net
    can lend a hand, which I'll appreciate very much.

It is Dr. Bijarne Stroustrup's doctoral dissertation, from
Cambridge.  It has been summarized in some article; I think it
was in SP&E, but maybe you are right in remembering it in a LNCS.

You have not asked my opinion on it, but I will venture to say
that he proves the equivalence of the two things having defined
them in a way such that the only differences are syntactic :->.
The dissertation is very interesting, especially because of the
discussion on performance.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

greg@cs.arizona.edu (Greg Andrews) (11/21/89)

In article <9745@saturn.ucsc.edu>, mendozag@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Victor M Mendoza-Grado) writes:

>  I am trying to recall the reference where the set of primitives
>  for message-passing and for shared memory mechanisms are shown
>  to be equivalent in power. I that thought maybe someone in the net
>  can lend a hand, which I'll appreciate very much.
>
>  I barely remember it was included in one of the LNCS volumes,
>  but I might be wrong.

I believe the reference you want is the "duality" paper:

	Lauer, H.C and Needham, R.M.  On the duality of
	operating system structures.  In Proc. 2nd Int.
	Symposium on Operating Systems (IRIA, Paris,
	Oct. 1978); reprinted in Operating Systems Review 13,
	2 (April 1979), 3-19.

That paper points out the duality between monitors and
message passing in terms both of expressive power and
performance (at least of the user's code).

This topic, and several others, is also surveyed in
a recent paper of mine that readers of this news group
might be interested in:

	Andrews, G.R.  Paradigms for process interaction
	in distributed programs.  TR 89-24, Dept. of Computer
	Science, The Univeristy of Arizona, October 1989.