[comp.os.research] Submission for comp-os-research

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <3027@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> stuart@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Stuart Friedberg) writes:
>Prodded by something Avie Tevanian of the MACH research group said,
>I have been considering life with a translation lookaside buffer (TLB)
>but without hardware page tables (PT).  This message is intended to
>spark some discussion of a) what such a system would be like,

One way it could look is like the Celerity Accel.  It provides a very large,
software managed TLB which we call an "Address Translation Cache".  The
Address Translation Cache is a 4096 or 16396 entry "four way associative"
memory.  Each entry contains the complete virtual address (including process
identifier), the real page number and the access permissions.  Address
translation proceeds as follows:

	the virtual address is hashed to select a four entry "bank" which
	is examined for a match to the virtual address.  If there is a
	matching entry then the real address and access permissions are
	taken from that entry.  If there is no match then a trap occurs
	for software to load one of the four entries selected by the
	virtual address and retry the operation which failed.

Software could maintain a page table and use that to find the virtual to
real mapping to be loaded into the cache.  However, we maintain a linked
list for each cache bank which contains the entries which would be present
if bank were indefinitely deep.  After an Address Translation  fault, the
hardware supplies the hashed address so that the appropriate list can be
found quickly.

The key to speed with this technique is the size of the cache so that
translation faults occur rarely and the fact that it contains a process
identifier so that it is seldom invalidated.

					-- J. J. Whelan
					   Celerity Computing

rama@stratus.gatech.edu (Kishore Ramachandran) (07/14/88)

I am guest-editing a special issue of Computer Architecture News (a Publication
of SIGARCH) on "Architectural Support for Operating Systems".  Articles
in the following categories are solicited:

o architectural enhancements to boost operating systems performance

o interaction of operating systems features with different multiprocessor
  architectures such as shared memory, message-passing, connectionist

o experiences in building operating systems for novel commercial
	architectures

o empirical studies of operating systems performance that suggest
	desirable features in the architecture

The articles can be descriptions of ongoing projects, work in progress
for Ph. D. dissertations, position statements, or status reports
of previously reported projects.

The special issue is scheduled for September 1988.  The deadline for inclusion
in the special issue is August 10 (sorry for the short notice).
Please e-mail me asap if you intend to submit to the issue, and make sure
you have the camera-ready manuscripts (two copies) in to me by August 10.
For guidelines on the format see the inside cover of the March 1988 issue
of Computer Architecture News.

Note that publication in CAN does not prevent further publication of the same
material. CAN is distributed to about 4500 members and 700 libraries.

Please spread the word around!

Kishore Ramachandran
School of Information and Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Ga 30332

e-mail: rama@gatech.edu (internet)
		gatech!rama     (uucp)
Ph: (404) 894-5136

banatre@irisa.irisa.fr (Michel Banatre) (09/05/89)

	GOTHIC is a researh project aiming at providing an advanced
programming system for developping fault-tolerant distributed applications.
	Two main issues in this project:
	-The design and the realization of fault-tolerant multi-processor
workstations based on the active stable storage mechanism which incorporates
built-in mechanisms for the implementation of atomicity.
	-The design and the implementation of languages features which
reconciled object-oriented programming and parallelism. This is achieved
with the introduction of the concept of multiprocedure which allows the
expression of fine grain parallelism and its control within a generalized
procedural framework. Multiprocedures operate on fragmented objects which
are instances of abstract data types (classes), the concrete representation
of such objects can be located on a set of virtual nodes. These language
features have been added to Modula-2.

	A first prototype version of the GOTHIC system has been designed and
implememted to run on a collection of fault-tolerant multiprocessor
workstations connected by a local area network.

Contact:	Michel BANATRE
		INRIA
		IRISA, Campus de Beaulieu,
		35042- RENNES cedex, FRANCE.