[comp.os.research] Graduate Course on Distributed Computing/Systems

srimani@webber.CS.ColoState.Edu (pradip srimani) (10/04/90)

I have been asked to teach a graduate course on "Distributed
Computing/Systems" in the next Spring. I need to decide on a
course outline (topics), textbook and/or recommended books
for reading and possible project assignments. I have not yet
decided whether to emphasize more on distributed algorithms
or in-depth discussion of available systems like Amoeba or
Mach. I'm sure a course like this has been taught many times
in many schools in the past. I'll be grateful if you please
share your experience with me so that I can design a better
course. Specifically I'd like to hear about textbooks,
selection of papers, topics that must be included in such a
course, lab assignments. I'll appreciate any and every
guidance you can give me in designing the course. And of
course, I'll post a summary if there is interest. Thank you
very much for your time.

Pradip
--
Pradip K Srimani                Tel: (303) 491-7097
Department of Computer Science  Email: srimani@handel.CS.Colostate.EDU

honey@doom.citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/09/90)

i like the lecture notes from arctic '88 edited by sape mullender.
they're published by acm.

	peter

sxm@bebop.Philips.Com (Sandeep Mehta) (10/09/90)

> honey@doom.citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:

   i like the lecture notes from arctic '88 edited by sape mullender.
   they're published by acm.

The notes/articles from Arctic '88 and Fingerlakes '89 were combined
into a book - An Advanced Course on Distributed Computing w/ Sape as
Editor. A pre-print of the book was used in '89. I think the book might
actually be available now from ACM Press.

sandeep
--
sxm@philabs.Philips.Com

reggie@dinsdale.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (10/10/90)

In article <7660@darkstar.ucsc.edu> sxm@bebop.Philips.Com(Sandeep Mehta) writes:

>The notes/articles from Arctic '88 and Fingerlakes '89 were combined
>into a book - An Advanced Course on Distributed Computing w/ Sape as
>Editor. A pre-print of the book was used in '89. I think the book might
>actually be available now from ACM Press.

		Distributed Systems
		Sape Mullender (Ed.)
		ACM Press Frontier Series
		ACM Press/Addison-Wesley, 1990
		ISBN 0-201-41660-3

	Non-ACM members:
		Addison-Wesley:		1-800-447-2226

	ACM members:
		ACM Press:		1-800-342-6626
		(Alaska, Maryland,
		and outside the US)	1-301-528-4261

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
reggie@paradyne.com				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA

george@cs.qmw.ac.uk (George Coulouris) (10/24/90)

In case you aren't aware of it, here are details of our
textbook on distributed systems, designed for (and based on) a
graduate-level course in DS.

We also have a set of a coursework exercises in the design and
implementation of a client-server application, available on request.

George Coulouris

Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design

George F. Coulouris
and
Jean Dollimore
(Queen Mary College, University of London)

Addison-Wesley (International Computer Science Series)
First published September 1988.

ISBN 0-201-18059-6

Here are two paragraphs from the Preface, describing the
intended scope and usage of the book:
" This book is intended to provide an introduction to the concepts and design
principles used in the construction of distributed computer systems.
We assume only that the reader has a knowledge of programming, of elementary
computer architecture and of the facilities offered by a general-purpose
operating system such as UNIX.
Courses on computer networks and operating systems are not necessary
pre-requisites, since we include a discussion of the essential topics from
computer networks in Chapter 3 and the operating systems techniques
mentioned are explained as they arise.

Although the book is based on material used by the authors for teaching a
course on distributed systems at Masters level, it includes material that
should make it suitable for teaching in the second or third year of
undergraduate courses in computer science and for self-study by those with a
background of the type outlined above."

And here is short a contents list:

Chapter 1: An introduction to distributed systems

Chapter 2: Architecture and design goals

Chapter 3: Networks and protocols

Chapter 4: Remote procedure calling

Chapter 5: File and directory services

Chapter 6: Implementation of file services

Chapter 7: Shared files

Chapter 8: Collaborating servers and file replication

Chapter 9: Protection and Security

Chapter 10: Case studies in distributed system design

Chapter 11: Grapevine: a case study

Appendix 1 - RPC Implementation

Appendix 2 - Grapevine: an Exercise in Distributed Computing
.  (Reprinted from CACM, v.25, no. 1, April 1982)
--

ARPA/Internet:  george@cs.qmw.ac.uk         | Queen Mary and Westfield College
JANET:          george@uk.ac.qmw.cs         | Mile End Road
                                            | London E1 4NS England
Office phone: +44 71 975 5201 (direct line)
Home phone:   +44 71 485 5896