[comp.os.research] Need info on Distributed Object Systems

rjh@cs.wayne.edu (Roman J. Hrywnak) (05/29/91)

 I am preparing a paper on Distributed Object Systems and as such
request pointers to material.  So far I have collected papers dealing
with the following systems: CHORUS, Clouds, Camelot and GUIDE. In the
commercial sector, I have procured some information dealing with the
activity of the OMG, specificaly in reference to the rfp for the Object
Request Broker.

I'm sure that I have missed a ton of relevant and exciting
developments. Any assistance to fill in these gaps, especially in the
commercial and standards areas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

     Roman J. Hrywnak

barroso@priam.usc.edu (Luiz Andre Barroso) (05/30/91)

You should include the U. of Washington's distributed O-O systems:

Eden -> Emerald -> Amber.

I don't have exact references, but you should find some papers
about it in IEEE Tr. on Soft. Eng. and OOPSLA proc.

Luiz A. Barroso
EE-Systems, USC, LA, CA, USA

grob@chorus.fr (Lori S. Grob) (05/30/91)

In article <16294@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, rjh@cs.wayne.edu (Roman J. Hrywnak) writes:

>  I am preparing a paper on Distributed Object Systems and as such
> request pointers to material.  So far I have collected papers dealing
> with the following systems: CHORUS, Clouds, Camelot and GUIDE. In the
> commercial sector, I have procured some information dealing with the
> activity of the OMG, specificaly in reference to the rfp for the Object
> Request Broker.
>
> I'm sure that I have missed a ton of relevant and exciting
> developments. Any assistance to fill in these gaps, especially in the
> commercial and standards areas will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>      Roman J. Hrywnak

As far as your papers on Chorus go, I am not sure if
you have our most recent stuff. There is some stuff available
by anonymous FTP and there is more available on request.

Besides the Chorus operating system itself there is
COOL (Chorus Obejct Oriented Layer) which is a layer
for building object oriented systems on top of the
Chorus nucleus.

Currently running on top of that, more as a proof
of concept than anything, is the ANSA testbench and
a C++ system.

COOL is currently being used in various research projects
and the redesign is currently being worked on. The goal
of COOL2 will be (among others) to provide migration of active
objects (migration of non-active objects already existing)
and transparent invocation and support for language level
persistance.

There are papers on COOL available also by anonymous FTP
one paper was recently presented in the last AFUU conference.

There are no papers as yet on the design of COOL2.

For papers or further information on Chorus or pointers
to where to find papers. You can write to me.
For further information on COOL, You may as well write to
Rodger Lea.  rodger@chorus.fr who is much more objectionable
than I.

--
L.S. Grob
Chorus syste`mes			phone +33-1-30-64-82-17