[ut.na] NAgMAg V89 #4

krj@na.toronto.edu (Ken Jackson) (03/11/89)

From:	nagmag%ukc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Date:	Fri, 10 Mar 89 10:09:10 EST
Subject: NAgMAg V89 #4
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.
Sender: trh%ukc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK

NAgMAg			Friday,  March 10 1989	Volume 89   Issue 4

Today's Topics
              Linear Programming - a new software announcement
                        Re: GAMS Classification Scheme
                           Nested calls to D01AJF
                 Reply: NAG Graphical Supplement for NOS/VE
                       Convective Boundary problems
                           Toolpack Mailing list
                            Problem with D02EBF

%% Just a couple of things before you get to the interesting
%% stuff. Thanks to NAG staff for answering queries but please
%% would you send a copy of the reply to nagmag as well
%% as the original poster of the query just
%% in case other readers are interested in the reply.
%%
%% I'll also keep a list of unanswered (via nagmag) queries
%% here -- just as a gentle reminder:-)
%% If individuals have had a reply from NAG please forward
%% them to me for inclusion in the digest.
%%
%%              UNANSWERED QUERIES
%%              ==================
%%
%% V89 #3 Online Workstation Help System
%% V89 #3 GAMS Scheme

---------------------------

Date:		 2-MAR-1989 14:57:53 GMT
From:		DAVID@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject: Linear Programming - a new software announcement

NAGUA members may be interested to hear of the latest software
announcement from NAG. Below please find an extract from the first
draft of an information note on FORTLP. Within the next few weeks an
information pack will be posted to the 50 or so sites who have
already expressed a keen interest in the software. If you would like
to be included in this mailshot please contact David Sayers at NAG.

    FORTLP Linear Programming Package - Information Note

Introduction.

The NAG Library contains excellent routines for the solution of
dense linear programming problems. It also has an instructive
routine to solve small integer linear programming problems. For many
applications however the problem size becomes very large and the NAG
routines are no longer the most appropriate. Firstly because sparse
techniques are not employed and secondly because the user-interface
demands industry-standard data formats.

This gap in the NAG problem solving environment has now been
admirably filled by FORTLP, a flexible package, originating from
Brunel University and which is now available from NAG.

The FORTLP Product

Nag is offering the FORTLP software in its Fortran source
form on a variety of media. It has been successfully tested and
installed on a number of machine ranges including IBM PC, DEC Vax
and Cray systems. The system is therefore suitable for all classes
of machines ranging from PC to supercomputer.

The only additional requirement of user site is the availability of
a Fortran compiler capable of accepting INTEGER*2 constructs. (This
is outside the Fortran standard but is commonly available with most
compilers and is exploited by the software to enable it to handle
very large problems with maximum efficiency.)

Uniquely amongst the NAG offerings FORTLP rests between a package,
which solves a users problem given the data, and a collection of
subroutines to enable the user to tailor the solution to his own
particular requirements. The installation guide explains both uses
and the accompanying manual gives considerable internal detail on
the working of the system.

The Support Service

An optional support service is offered and this will entitle the
user to periodic updates as the system continues to expand and
develop. For example the next release, planned for summer 1989, will
include the Forrest and Tomlin LU update for even better
preservation of sparsity.

We believe that the high quality research into algorithms and
software and prospects for further technological breakthroughs, such
as the full exploitation of the sparse BLAS concept, make the
Support Service an attractive proposition for most sites.

March 1989

---------------------------

Date:          Fri, 3 Mar 89 14:26 GMT
From:          FRIEDLI@czheth5a.earn
Subject:       Re: GAMS Classification Scheme

Kahaner recently and he informed me that they are in the
process of editing a new version of GAMS which will
include the ACM algorithms and other new things as well.
The new volume will appear either this summer or towards
the end of the year.
     Armin Friedli,   Friedli@czheth5a.BITNET,     ETH Zurich.

---------------------------

Date:		 6-MAR-1989 14:06:36 GMT
From:		PHYHJR@vaxb.heriot-watt.ac.uk
Subject:	Nested calls to D01AJF

We had a rather nasty experience using D01AJF recently.  The problem
took a long time to track down and seems to be due to the use of
the common block AD01AJ.  It appears that calling the routine from
within its integrand function does not work.  (the integrand contains
another integral).

In the documentation under Further Comments there is a note

 `Labelled COMMON block AD01AJ is used by this routine and must therefor
  be avoided by the user',

perhaps this should be amended to indicate that recursive calls to
the routine will not work.

Of course such calls may not be standard f77 but many compilers
support this.

Harvey Richardson

      e-mail : JANET    - phyhjr@uk.ac.hw.clust
               INTERNET - phyhjr%clust.hw.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
               BITNET   - phyhjr%clust.hw.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
        mail : Physics Department
               Heriot-Watt University
               Riccarton,  Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK.
       phone : (+44) 031-451-3047

---------------------------

Date:       08 MAR 89 12:18:15
From:       Z3000PA@awituw01.earn
Subject:    Reply: NAG Graphical Supplement for NOS/VE

Dear Mr Partl

I understand from Guenter Baszenski that the above will  be available in
about 1 month with the GKS interface as standard.

Yours sincerely
Tim Nash

---------------------------

Date:     Thu, 09 Mar 89 10:25:41 GMT
From:     "Chan Basaruddin <061 720 7263>" <MBBGPTB@cms.umrcc.ac.uk>
Subject:  Convective Boundary problems

I'm solving a parabolic problem in 2-D (which is linear), but
it has got a special boundary conditions i.e of hyperbolic type:
   a (du/dt) + b (du/dx) + (du/dy) = 0.
Which nag routine should I employ ?
Chan
Manchester

---------------------------

Date:     Fri, 10 Mar 89 13:35:55 GMT
From:     Tim Hopkins <trh@uk.ac.ukc>

In case any of you missed to announcement on the news recently,
there is an electronic mailing list been set up for discussing
Toolpack. It looks as though there are people out there using
it at last and thinking about how to improve it.

Anyone interested e-mail

dph@lanl.gov

If you have problems getting through -- mail me and I'll post
them on.

Tim.

-----------------------------

From:     "Alphonse P. Magnus" <ANNU76@buclln11.earn>
Subject:  Problem with D02EBF
To:       T Hopkins <nagmag-request@ukc.ac.uk>

The following ODE solver went into a loop on NAG Mark12 on the
IBM 4381 (VM) of Louvain-la-Neuve (we just received Mark13,
not yet installed, perhaps the problem has been settled)

       PROGRAM NGTD02
C test D02EBF
        REAL*8 T,T0,TEND,Y(2),TOL,W(222)
        COMMON T0,TEND,N
        EXTERNAL FC,CJAC,OUT1,OUT2
        N=1
        TOL=1.0D-8
        T0=0
        TEND=1
        Y(1)=1
        PRINT '(''  t0,tend  : '',2F15.10)' , T0,TEND
        IR=0
        NJAC=1
        T=T0
        IFAIL=111
        CALL D02EBF(T,TEND,N,Y,TOL,IR,FC,NJAC,CJAC,OUT1,W,222,IFAIL)
        PRINT *,'   ifail=',IFAIL
        TOL=1.0D-8
        T0=0
        TEND=1
        Y(1)=1
        PRINT '(''  t0,tend  : '',2F15.10)' , T0,TEND
        IR=0
        NJAC=1
        T=T0
        IFAIL=111
        CALL D02EBF(T,TEND,N,Y,TOL,IR,FC,NJAC,CJAC,OUT2,W,222,IFAIL)
        PRINT *,'   ifail=',IFAIL
       STOP
       END
       SUBROUTINE FC(T,Y,F)
        REAL*8 T,T0,TEND,Y(N),F(N)
        COMMON T0,TEND,N
C ridiculously simple exemple y'=y
         F(1)=Y(1)
         PRINT '(''  t   : '',F20.15,'' y:'',1PE14.7)',T,Y
       RETURN
       END
       SUBROUTINE CJAC(T,Y,JAC)
        REAL*8 T,T0,TEND,Y(N),JAC(N,N)
        COMMON T0,TEND,N
                 JAC(1,1)=1
       RETURN
       END
       SUBROUTINE OUT1(TSOL,Y)
        REAL*8 TSOL,T0,TEND,Y(N)
        COMMON T0,TEND,N
         PRINT '(''  tsol: '',F20.15,'' y:'',1PE14.7)',TSOL,Y
         TSOL=TSOL+0.1*(TEND-T0)
         IF( ABS( (TSOL-TEND)/(T0-TEND) )  .LT.1.0D-5) TSOL=TEND
C This one works fine
        RETURN
        END
       SUBROUTINE OUT2(TSOL,Y)
        REAL*8 TSOL,T0,TEND,Y(N)
        COMMON T0,TEND,N
         PRINT '(''  tsol: '',F20.15,'' y:'',1PE14.7)',TSOL,Y
         TSOL=TSOL+0.1*(TEND-T0)
         IF( TSOL.GT.TEND ) TSOL=TEND
C should stop here, but runs into a loop
        RETURN
        END

%% A quick run on the unix version gives the same results.
%% Tim

---------------------------------------

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

--
Kenneth R. Jackson,            krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)