[ut.na] NAgMAg Vol 89 #05

krj@na.toronto.edu (Ken Jackson) (03/18/89)

From:	nagmag%ukc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Date:	Fri, 17 Mar 89 09:45:13 EST
Subject: NAgMAg Vol 89 #05
Sender: trh%ukc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK

NAgMAg			Friday,  March 17 1989	Volume 89   Issue 5

Today's Topics
                        NAG Responses to NAGMAG #4
                       Library Mark 13 under NOS/VE
                       Information on E01ADF needed
                        GAMS Classification Scheme
                             General Comments
%% Editorial!
%%
%% The subscription list is still growing steadily (the number
%% of non-NAG staff now stands at 110 and this includes several
%% mailing lists in the US) which is some relief to me after the
%% very slow start.
%%
%%  ************** PLUG PLUG PLUG PLUG *****************
%% I hope you are all paid-up members of NAGUA (the NAG Users
%% Association)! If not and you'd like more details drop me
%% a message and I'll make sure you get an application form.
%% If you are make sure you reserve your place at the NAGUA
%% meeting at York (UK) this September.
%%
%% And look NO outstanding replies :-)
%%
%% Keep sending the articles ....... Tim

---------------------------

Date:		Sun, 12 MAR 89 17:49:24 GMT
From:		DAVID@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject: NAG Responses to NAGMAG #4

For the time being it has been agreed that I will co-ordinate
replies to the many interesting issues that NAGMAG has raised.

Firstly apologies from NAG for the delays/confusion over replies to
NAGMAG #3; I never expected anyone to reply to the individual rather
than through the NAGMAG and so failed to advise against this course
of action.

RE: Online Workstation Help System

We anticipated a demand for this some time ago and prepared a
version for use on PC's. Until now there has never been any
incentive to complete the work since the expected requests never
materialised - even during negotiations with CHEST for the British
Universities.

In reponse to NAGMAG I am pleased to say that an effort is now being
made to complete the work. Please await an announcement in these
columns.

RE: GAMS Scheme

We discussed this at some length and we will probably provide the
index at Mark 14. (We think we have found a volunteer within the
office!)

Armin Friedli's latest message is of interest though and we are very
grateful to him for this. Of the people I have spoken to, none of us
were aware of this new development. It clearly makes sense to
conform to this revised version and this may delay things somewhat.

RE: Nested Calls to D01AJF

I think the message is most helpful - if only to highlight the
dangers of non-standard Fortran.

We are looking to make our manuals better and easier to use, so
examples like this of user difficulty help us immensely. (On the
topic of manuals internal thoughts range from having a smaller
vocabulary, to assist the non-native English speaker, to cutting
down the level of information provided. With this still a topic for
debate have any of you any thoughts or comments ?)

RE: Convective Boundary Problems

At the moment NAG does not have any software directly applicable to
2 D parabolic equations. Richard Brankin tells me that he has some
hopes that NAG may acquire some solvers for future Marks, but I am
afraid that for the immediate problem we have no software to hand.
Sorry - perhaps someone else out there can help ?

%% Come on you FEM guys -- there is a whole NAG FEM library out
%% there -- somebody must know how to use it. Don't they:-)
%% Tim

RE: D02EBF Looping

Thank you for reporting this. Richard Brankin came in today (Sunday)
to investigate this problem, which puzzled us both last night. He
tells me that he has found the 'bug' which is present in all
versions and which will be corrected. In the meantime subroutine
OUT1 provides a safe solution.

---------------------------

Date:     Tue, 14 Mar 89 09:52:03 MEZ
From:     ZZENDE@dhvrrzn1.earn
Subject:  Library Mark 13 under NOS/VE

I didn't send the question via NAgMAg, but I guess some people might
be interested in the answer I got from NAG concerning the NOS/VE
implementation of Mark 13 of the Library:

"The latest position is as follows.

FTN1 compiler: CDC have a full-time programmer workin on this, and the
Library is compiled, all examples have been run and verified, the
stringent test programs have been run and verification of the results is
about to begin. We (NAG) hope to receive the Library from CDC at the
end of March. We will then certify it for release, finalise the support
notes, and hope to distribute it to users during April.

FTN2 compiler: CDC will work on this following the FTN1 version.
We (NAG)  estimate that if all goes well it will be released to
users in early June."

I hope things will work that way|         Peter Endebrock

---------------------------

Date:		Wed, 15 MAR 89 19:34:24 GMT
From:		SUPPORT@leva.icf.leeds.ac.uk
Subject:        Information on E01ADF needed

Hello,

A colleague of mine has inherited a Fortran program
that was last used when the current release of the
Nag library was Mk 9.  It calls a routine E01ADF that
has since been superseded by (we believe) E01BAF.

We no longer have the documentation for E01ADF.  A
minimum need is a description of each parameter (data type,
significance) but a photocopy of the full description
for this routine would be ideal.  Can anyone help, please?

Regards,
Ted Allwood
---

JANET      support@uk.ac.leeds.icf.leva

Interactive Computing Facility
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Leeds
Leeds  LS2 9JT

Fax:   0532 424611

---------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 13:40:05 EST
From: Ronald Boisvert <boisvert@rfb.cam.nbs.gov>
Subject: GAMS Classification Scheme

  Response to "GAMS Scheme" in (NAgMAg V89 #3 and #4):

  We are busy working on a new edition of the "Guide to Available
  Mathematical Software (GAMS)" which we expect to be ready at the
  end of  this year.  The purpose of GAMS is to provide summary of
  the mathematical and statistical software available to users of
  our local systems.  Among the software packages included in the
  new edition will be

      ACM Algorithms (1975-1986)
      BMDP (1987)
      CMLIB (Version 3)
      DATAPLOT (1988)
      IMSL (Edition 9.2)
      IMSL/MATH (Edition 1.0)
      IMSL/STAT (Edition 1.0)
      IMSL/SFUN (Edition 2.0)
      MINITAB (1982)
      NAG  (Mark 12)
      PORT (Version 2)
      SAS (5.03)
      SPSS (2.1)
      STARPAC (2.07)

 All software is cataloged according to the GAMS Classification Scheme.
 The scheme is tree-structured, problem-oriented, and quite detailed
 (there are more than 700 nodes).

 In several months we plan to issue a new version of the classification
 scheme.  The new version has a completely revised statistics section,
 as well as other minor changes.  All our software will have been
 classified under this scheme when it is issued.  At that time we would
 be happy to provide a listing of new classification scheme and a
 list of software modules in selected libraries with their
 classifications to anyone who needs them.  Send requests to

                    spring@vax.cam.nbs.gov

 Ron Boisvert
 Sally Howe
 David Kahaner
 Jeanne Springmann

 Gaithersburg, MD 20899 USA

---------------------------

Date:     Sun, 12 Mar 89 12:39:31 EMT
From:     FSCPG@nobergen.earn <Pat Gaffney>
Subject:  General Comments

I have received the recent mags and I must say that this is a very
worthwhile idea and you are doing a great job. A few comments:

1) A UNIRAS graphics interface would be very welcome.

2) I find it very hard to believe that anyone would regard the GAMS
   classifications scheme as an "indispensable tool for
   people who need help in choosing an adequate Library routine...".
   How anyone can make the CORRECT choice from such an index
   is beyond me.
   In my opinion NAG should spend its resources on other
   worthwhile projects like TOOLPACK.

3) Recursive calls to routines from within FORTRAN should be discouraged.
   Nobody expects FORTRAN to handle recursiveness so therefore the NAG
   routine should not really be amended.

---------------------------

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

--
Kenneth R. Jackson,            krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)