[ut.na] NAgMAg V89 #11

krj@na.toronto.edu (Ken Jackson) (05/11/89)

From:	nagmag%ukc.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Date:	Wed, 10 May 89 18:36:55 EDT
Subject: NAgMAg V89 #11

NAgMAg		Wednesday,  May 10 1989	Volume 89   Issue 11

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%   The official electronic digest of the NAG Users Association   %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Today's Topics
                           Re:  NAgMAg V89 #10
                            NAg Panel Seminar
                            Replies to V89 #10
                  Forwarded reply to scattered data request

%% Last weeks issue was cancelled through lack of articles -- just
%% as well really as I was panicing over a deadline! However, no
%% deadlines looming up for at least another 36 hours so now is
%% definitely the time to fire off those articles you always meant to
%% send in.
%%
%% I've included a reply to my SOS of last issue just to illustrate
%% that the digest can be useful in many ways.
%%
%% Closing date for applications to the NAGUA conference is
%% looming in June (must remember to send mine off!). It's
%% best to get in quick else you'll get allocated a room
%% next to the duck pond :-(
%%
%%     Tim

---------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 89 10:12:03 PDT
From: Michael Helm <mike@nuada.lbl.gov>
Subject: Re:  NAgMAg V89 #10

%% SOS BOARD
%%
%%  1) I know this is a complete long shot but I've been mailed
%%     by
%%      bsatzer@gonzo.eta.com
%%     to be included on the mailing list. All mail to this addressee
%%     gets bounced with an 'Unknown user' message.
%%
%%     Anyone out there know an alternative address.

I had trouble with a reply to a user at that address in the past,
but one thing to consider is that eta is the subsidiary of Control
Data that C-D just blew away; maybe this user has already left?
I think it was a sudden move on C-D's part.  ==mwh

%% Many thanks for the info.  Tim
---------------------------

Date:		10-MAY-1989 15:50:27 GMT
From:		CMAAE08@vaxa.cc.imperial.ac.uk
Subject: NAg Panel Seminar

.
.            University of London Nag Panel Seminar
.                              on
.                  SPARSE MATRIX CALCULATIONS
.                            and the
.                HARWELL  SPARSE MATRIX LIBRARY

    Ian Duff from the Harwell Numerical Analysis Group will talk
on current methods for handling sparse matrix problems.  The
Seminar will conclude with a discussion on the future contents of
the Library .

Monday June 12 1989 ..        2:00 PM          ..         Room 342
                    Mechanical Engineering Bldg
Imperial College   ..      Exhibition Road     ..   London SW7 2BX

    If you plan to attend it would help if you let User Support
in the Computer Centre know.  Phone 01 589 5111 x 4930 or
Email   S.BUDD @UK.AC.IC.CC.VAXA
.

---------------------------

Date:		Wed, 10 MAY 89 21:39:14 GMT
From:		DAVID@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject: Replies to v89 #10

Re: MINOS

As you are aware we work very closely with Stanford in the
development of our E04 optimisation chapter. This collaboration has
extended to some preliminary discussions about the possible
distribution of MINOS by NAG, but these are still at the formative
stage as far as I am aware.

Our E04 contributors are aware of a need for sparse solvers and this
certainly features in their future development plans - though I can
confirm that Mark 14 will not see any new developments in this area.

For purely linear programming, or mixed integer programs I would
like to plug FORTLP again. It is especially suited to large, sparse
problems.

Re: TSA

I believe that the correspondent has been contacted separately on
the detailed issues raised. I think in general terms it is fair to
say that the interest shown by the user-community (NAGUA members)
in this particular product did not warrant a lot of implementation
effort being expended on TSA given the urgent needs for
implementation effort in other areas. As a consequence we do not
have many implemented versions of TSA, but those we do have include
VAX VMS and IBM machines.

Re: EMAIL addresses

The editor asked me to the usernames of NAG staff willing to receive
messages concerning NAG. So on UK.CO.NAG.VAX we have:

BRIAN - Brian Ford (Director) - policy matters
STEVE - Steve Hague (Deputy Director)

SVEN  - Sven Hammarling (Numerical Libraries Division)
TREVOR - Trevor Lambert (Implementations & Services)
BOB   - Robert Iles (Software Environments Division)

If in doubt about who to direct an enquiry to either go to the top
and contact Brian or mail me (DAVID) and I will pass the enquiry
through to the relevant NAG staff member.

NAGUA members should be aware of a new staff member at NAG, placed
within the Central Office to look after their interests and develop
the User Association activities. NAG welcomes CAROLINE FOERS to the
office and hopes that NAGUA members will make contact with her if
they have any User Association Queries or ideas. (She is on
extension 265 within the office and works in Trevor Lambert's
Division)

%% Hello Caroline -- if you send me your e-mail address I'll add
%% you to the mailing list then you could write us all a nice
%% article 'bout what you're going to be doing -- couldn't you?!!
%% Tim

David Sayers
10 May 1989.

---------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 May 89 13:22:20 bst
From: Joe Morice <MORICE@prl.philips.co.uk>
Subject: Forwarded reply to scattered data request

 Joe,
 I have seen a copy of your request.  Unfortunately, the problem is
 much more complicated in the scattered data case than for gridded
 data.  I do not know of any current software that can guarantee that
 the interpolant does not get out of the range of values at the cell
 corners (which is the equivalent of monotonicity, I think).  Some
 people have been working on methods that attempt to preserve local
 convexity, which MIGHT to what you want.  Names that come to mind are
 John A. (Jack) Roulier at the Univ.  of Connecticut, Storrs, and
 Thomas A. (Tom) Foley at Arizona State Univ., Tempe.  Unfortunately, I
 do not have e-mail addresses for either of these gentlemen.  I wish
 you luck.  Please let me know if you are successful in
 your search.
    Fred N. Fritsch, Lawrence Livermore Nat'l. Lab.

%% Anyone got e-mail addresses for Roulier and/or Foley? I checked
%% the netlib addresses I have locally but they aren't listed.  Tim

---------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 May 89 22:30:47 bst
From: trh@uk.ac.ukc
Subject: Anyone got any usage statistics?

I've been playing with some software metrics in an attempt to
identify routines most liable to need corrective maintenance.
Does anyone have any usage statistics of nag routines so I
can check how often (if?) certain routines get called?

Tim

---------------------------

%%   For further information about the NAG Users Association please contact:
%% Janet Bentley, Administrator NAGUA,
%% Shore Lane Farm, Blackstone Edge Old Road,
%% LITTLEBOROUGH, Lancashire, OL15 0LQ, UK.

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

--
Kenneth R. Jackson,            krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)