[ut.na] NAgMAg V89 #12

krj@na.toronto.edu (Ken Jackson) (05/21/89)

From:	nagmag%ukc.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

NAgMAg		Friday,  May 19 1989	Volume 89   Issue 12

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%   The official electronic digest of the NAG Users Association   %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Today's Topics
                             usage statistics
                Routines for nonlinear Volterra equations
                               Introduction
                 Increase in workspace required by D02s

%%
%% There it did go out on Friday (just!). I'm too tired even to
%% think of an 'editorial' this week let alone type one!!
%%
%% Thanks to all the contributers.
%%
%%     Tim

---------------------------

Date:     Thu, 11 May 89 09:18:35 MEZ
From:     ZZENDE@dhvrrzn1.earn
Subject:  usage statistics

Tim,
we have been counting subroutine calls (and in fact calls to other
application software pieces) since a long time.

What we get is a routine name and a user identification, we do not
gather information on execution times. The implementation is by a
subroutine that is called once on the first entry to a specific
library routine. That is an easy way, but we cannot distinguish
between direct calls by the user and indirect calls by other routines.

The data collected are evaluated on a monthly basis, and on a
quarterly and yearly basis as well. It helps us in determining where
we might need to improve our support for application packages.

You will remember that there was a presentation of a counting tool
for IBM systems with SAS evaluation at a NAGUA conference in Oxford
(or was it Cambridge?) by Petra Schlager from Dortmund.

I know that Jeremy du Croz at NAg used to gather information from
different installations, perhaps he might give you additional
sources.

Peter Endebrock

[Many thanks -- I'll pester you later for some figures.  Tim]
---------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 May 89 15:11:28 BST
From: Harvey Richardson <harvey@sun.physics.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
Subject: Routines for nonlinear Volterra equations

It seems that there are very few routines for the solution of integral
equations in the Nag Fortran Library (Mark12).  Are there any firm plans
to extend the choice of routines in D05.  I would particularly like to
see routines for the solution of nonlinear Volterra equations of the
second type, ie.

                /
  x(t) = y(t) + | K(t,s,x(s)) ds
                /

where a is a constant and y,K are known functions.

Harvey Richardson

      e-mail : JANET    - harvey@uk.ac.hw.phy.s
               INTERNET - harvey%s.phy.hw.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
                   (or) - harvey%s.phy.hw.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
               BITNET   - harvey%s.phy.hw.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
        mail : Physics Department
               Heriot-Watt University
               Riccarton,  Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK.
       phone : (+44) 031-451-3047

---------------------------

Date:		Thu, 18 MAY 89 11:43:21 GMT
From:		CAROLINE@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject:	Introduction

NAGUA and Services Coordinator
------------------------------

That's me.  (Brief profile: Mechanical Engineering degree from Imperial
College, then three and a bit years working within the Service
departments of Austin Rover and Iveco Ford, followed by two weeks,
to date, with NAG.)  As the job title says, I'm here to coordinate
NAGUA activities within NAG.  The main point about NAGUA is that it
is the USERS association, so if you have any ideas or
suggestions for events or activities that you would like to see happen,
then please do get in touch.

Courses
-------
Below are details of two courses taking place over the next couple of
months.

The first is 'Genstat 5 Introductory Course', a 4 day residential
course to be held in Colchester from 6-9 June.  'An opportunity to
improve your statistical productivity', or so the leaflet says!
For further details contact:
            Keith Trinder at NAG.

The second is 'Understanding and Using the NAG Library', which will take
place at Oxford University from 10-14 July.  (See issue 7 for a
summary of this course, which was first held last December).
For further details contact :
            Dr AK Parrott
            UCINA Coordinator
            Oxford University Computing Laboratory
            11 Keble Road
            Oxford    OX1 3QD

I will be attending at least one day of each of these courses, and look
forward to meeting some enthusiastic users.

NAGUA 89
--------
Of course, the highlight of the NAGUA year is the annual conference, to
be held this year in York.  You should have received an invitation by
now (and have sent off your booking form!); if not then let me know
and I will put one in the post. As a NAGUA member, you will receive
priority booking.  See you at the Medieval Banquet!

Caroline Foers
18 May 89

---------------------------

Date: Fri,19 May 89 15:36:31 BST
From: David_Rhead@vme.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Subject: Increase in workspace required by D02s

As part of the change from Mark 12 to Mark 13 of the Fortran Library,
the size of the workspace required by certain D02 routines was increased.

We have taken all the steps we can think of to inform our users that
these routines now require more workspace:  memos; newsletter items;
messages when they log in; messages on the output from their batch jobs.
Nevertheless:

- We have still had users who have not got the message, and have had
  programs failing in wierd ways.  This has increased our advisory load.
  Since people may be using these routines in infrequently used
  programs, I don't imagine we've seen the end of the problems yet.

- Since we don't have control over NAG manuals that may have been bought
  by departments, nor of the speed at which departments update these
  manuals, we cannot guarantee that people writing new programs won't be
  using an old manual.

Overall, I think that increasing the size of the workspace was a big
mistake. It would have been better to phase in new routines, with
different names and the customary overlap period.
                                                       David Rhead

---------------------------

%%   For further information about the NAG Users Association please contact:
%% Janet Bentley, Administrator NAGUA,
%% Shore Lane Farm, Blackstone Edge Old Road,
%% LITTLEBOROUGH, Lancashire, OL15 0LQ, UK.

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

--
Kenneth R. Jackson,            krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)