Date:     Wed, 14 Jun 89 13:21:49 BST
From:     MBBGPTB@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Subject:  Accuracy of the F02BJF

I recently used the generalized eigenvalue routine F02BJF. For
the accuracy control I called the function X02AAF(0.0e0) and
I expect using this I will get a reasonably accurate result.
What I found was a very inacurate result. My matrix is quite
small (19 x 19) and has a pair of complex e'values; the rest
of the eigenvalues are real. Using F02BJF it turned out that
all the eigenvalues are complex with quite significant imaginary
part. (I ran my program on IBM-CMS with double length).
Have I done something wrong ?

---------------------------

Date:     Thu, 15 Jun 89 12:06:38 EET
From:     J}rgen Bruchhaus <MI004@dk0umi1.earn>
Subject:  Sparse Matrix Package

I need FORTRAN-subroutines for the usual operations on sparse matrices
( including factorization ) .
Does anyone know about a freely available package ?

Thanks in advance ,

Juergen Bruchhaus
Institute of Mathematics
University of Cologne
Weyertal 86-90
D-5000 Koeln 41
( BITNET : MI004@DK0UMI1 )
Acknowledge-To: <MI004@DK0UMI1>

---------------------------

Date:		Thu, 15 JUN 89 16:19:53 GMT
From:		CAROLINE@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject: Response to Volterra Integral Equation Request

The following item is in response to the request from Harvey
Richardson, Heriot-Watt University in issue 12.

Routines for Volterra Integral Equations

Algorithms for the numerical solution of Volterra integral equations of
the first and second kind are under consideration in the D05 chapter of
the Fortran library.

In fact, a routine for the solution of nonlinear convolution integral
equation of the second kind, which occurs in real life problems,

(1)        y(t) = f(t) + I k(t-s)g(s,y(s)) ds

has been developed and will appear in Mark 14 of the Fortran library.
This routine (D05BAF) uses a variety of reducible linear multistep
methods of Adams and backward differentiation formulae type; the user
should supply a tolerance for the desired accuracy.

Equation (1) is a subclass of the general second kind Volterra equation

(2)        y(t) = f(t) + I K(t,s,y(s)) ds

with       K(t,s,y(s)) = k(t-s)g(s,y(s)).

To develop efficient and reliable codes for Volterra equations, the
structure of the kernel K(t,s,y(s)) should be considered and the choice
of the method is very important.  For example, in solving (1) the
number of function evaluations are reduced significantly due to the
convolution nature of the kernel.

For kernels with weak singularities of the form

                          -1/2
           k(t,s,y) = (t-s)   H(t,s,y)

special methods exist and a separate routine will be developed; again
the structure H(t,s,y) is important.

Routines for the solution of the general equation (2) are being
considered.  In the meantime we are preparing codes to exploit commonly
occuring problems with special kernel structures.

Mishi Derakhshan

---------------------------

Date:        Fri, 16 Jun 89 16:33:40 EDT
From:        Steve Hotovy <SGH@cornellf.earn>
Subject:     Usage Statistics

   I read about tracking subroutine calls in Issue 12 of NagMag.  We are
very interested in doing something like this here at Cornell.  Could you
point me in the right direction for more information?

Steve Hotovy
CNSF

%% Correct me David if I'm wrong, but I thought all implementations
%% of routine call accounting had been site dependent `hacks'. These
%% are therefore very machine/system dependent. I'd like to see NAG
%% put the hooks in the sources to allow such accounting to be
%% implemented. Would others be interested in this? Tim

---------------------------

Date:	Tue, 20 JUN 89 15:30:24 GMT
From:	CAROLINE@vax.nag.co.uk
Subject: NAGUA meeting update

NAGUA'89
--------
Conference latest - Julian Gallop from Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
		    will be giving the presentation on 'Library
		    Management in a Network'

		  - Ron Furzeland from Koninklijkeshell-Laboratorium,
		    Amsterdam, one of the speakers on Industrial
		    Applications of NAG Software, will be speaking on
		    'Differential Equation Software in the
		    Petrochemical Industry:  Requirements and Needs'.

Just in case any of you are not yet NAGUA members (although I'm sure
you all are, as NAGMAG is a NAGUA service), membership of just #30, or
$60 in North America, entitles you to a discount of #30 at the one day
tutorial AND a discount of #30 at the main meeting.  So if you will be
coming to the whole conference or even just the main meeting, then it
certainly makes sense to join.  There, that's my sales pitch for now.

Caroline Foers

---------------------------

%%   For further information about the NAG Users Association please contact:
%% Janet Bentley, Administrator NAGUA,
%% Shore Lane Farm, Blackstone Edge Old Road,
%% LITTLEBOROUGH, Lancashire, OL15 0LQ, UK.

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

--
Kenneth R. Jackson,            krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)