[ut.na] NAgMAg v90n01

krj@cs.toronto.edu (Ken Jackson) (02/02/90)

NAgMAg		Monday,  January 22 1990	Volume 90   Issue 01

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%   The official electronic digest of the NAG Users Association   %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Today's Topics
                           The Diamond project
                               News from NAG
                           NAGUA News - Issue 1
                               Netlib -- UK

%% Apologies for the long delay in sending this first issue of
%% the new year out -- I was given a new year present of chicken
%% pox by my daughter (they do get worse as they get older :-)).
%% Anyway I'm back in circulation now so you can feel free to
%% send in lots of articles for the next issue. It's about
%% time we had some complaints from the users otherwise NAG
%% will be getting complacent!!
%%
%% A belated Happy New Year,
%% Tim

---------------------------

Date:    Mon, 18 Dec 1989 11:30:46 EST
From:    BURKARDT@a.psc.edu
Subject: The Diamond project

I just ran across a book about the DIAMOND project, in which NAG was
involved, and wondered if there was any way to get a look at the
software that was used?
John Burkardt
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

---------------------------

Date:           Tue, 9 Jan 90  16:19 GMT
From:           NAG
Subject:        News from NAG

                          NEWS FROM NAG

Let me wish you all a Happy New Year on behalf of NAG and its staff.

As you know 1990 will see the release of the NAG Mark 14 Library,
another monster update, further releases of the NAG Ada Library and
release of the Mark 3 Graphics Library. Other new year offers will
include Release 2 of FORTLP( the linear programming package), SLICOT
(a control engineering library) and a Fortran Tools service. Most of
these will feature in the early part of this year and this doubtless
accounts for the high activity in NAG Central Office.

>From time-to-time talking to NAG Users it becomes clear that there
is a misunderstanding of the terms and conditions of the standard
library licence. I suspect that not many people actually see this
and so are depriving themselves of facilities covered by their
licence.

A typical release tape contains a compiled and tested library for a
given machine range, the source of the example programs and data
used in that implementation and the results that were obtained by
the implementor on that machine. There are also a number of
information files; for example a file describing the inter-dependence
of NAG routines and a brief description of their purpose. The source
of the NAG routines is also included on the tape sent to the site.

The standard NAG Licence allows a site to make use of the example
programs, perhaps making them available to its users as template
programs to be adapted, like the NAG/SERC Finite Element Library, to
the users own particular requirements. He may also have access to
the results and data files. For obvious reasons the NAG Library
source is more restricted, but is provided to the Site
Representative for him to use in Advisory, in order to keep the
library error-free in between marks and, in rare instances, for him to
release selected material to individual users. The latter action
requires the express permission of NAG, but is rarely withheld. For
genuine research work, the permission is often given free-of-charge,
but if the software is to be exploited commercially then a mutually
agreed fee is charged. THIS LATTER USAGE IS OFTEN NOT UNDERSTOOD AND
HAS LED TO MUCH WASTED EFFORT (and I fear, some subterfuge) BY NAG
USERS.

The Library is licenced on a processor basis and, although there are
massive discounts for second processors, it is possible that the
library is licenced to run on only one of several similar machines.
In this instance the user may form an executable program on the
licenced machine by linking into the library and exporting the
program to the unlicenced machine - provided only that the machines
are at the same site. Larger organisations which wish to develop
programs this way and export them beyond the site, to other sites
within the same company may purchase a special licence to allow
this. One word of warning - VAX users will not be able to export
executable code formed by linking into the VAX VMS Shareable
Library, by the very nature of shareable libraries.

By taking the Library users are entitled to make use of the
technical support service at NAG Central Office by ringing Oxford
511245 and asking for the technical support desk. This is open on
all work days from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

David Sayers

---------------------------

Date:           Tue, 9 Jan 90  16:19 GMT
From:           NAG
Subject:        NAGUA News - Issue 1

NAGUA News - Issue 1
----------

Many of you will have received a copy of the first edition of
NAGUA News, a publication of the NAG Users Association. If you
would like to see a copy of this newsletter please contact:

Ms Caroline Foers
NAG Users Association
PO Box 426
OXFORD
OX2 8SD

NAGUA News will be published three times a year to members of
the NAG Users Association.

Issue 2
-------
The next issue of NAGUA News will be in March, to members only.
If anyone would like to submit a short item, eg your experiences
with NAG software, they should do so by Friday 26 January.  The item
should be a maximum of 300 words plus photos/illustrations/cartoons
where appropriate.

Suggestions for articles would also be welcome, as would comments
on issue 1.

---------------------------

Date:     Mon, 22 Jan 90 12:14:54 GMT
From:     "T.R.Hopkins" <trh@ukc.ac.uk>
Subject:  Netlib -- UK

This isn't really NAG related but I was asked before Xmas to
advertise the Netlib facilities that are available in the States.
However you don't have to mail the US anymore because the netlib
service is available from ukc.

Netlib is a large repository of public domain software which may
be ordered by electronic mail. The software covers many areas of
numerical and non-numerical computing, for example all the Linpack,
Eispack and Toms routines are available. For full details of
what software is available and how to get it, send e-mail to

netlib@uk.ac.ukc

consisting of the single line

send index

you will receive (hopefully:-)) an e-mail message (within a few
minutes if you are on Janet) giving all the required information.

One thing I have done is to put back issues of nagmag on the system
-- it will save me having to respond to individual request.
Information on how to get back issues may be obtained by sending
the following to netlib@uk.ac.ukc

send index from nagmag

Tim

---------------------------

%%   For NAGUA membership details contact:
%% Janet Bentley, Administrator NAGUA,
%% Shore Lane Farm, Blackstone Edge Old Road,
%% LITTLEBOROUGH, Lancashire, OL15 0LQ, UK.
%%
%% For other NAGUA enquiries contact:
%% Caroline J Foers
%% NAGUA Coordinator,
%% NAG Users Association,
%% PO Box 426,
%% Oxford, OX2 8SD, U.K.
%%
%% e-mail   caroline@uk.co.nag.vax

%%
%%   Replies or submissions to          nagmag@uk.ac.ukc
%%   Distribution changes to    nagmag-request@uk.ac.ukc
%%
%%   END OF ISSUE

Reposted by

Prof. Kenneth R. Jackson,      krj@na.toronto.edu   (on Internet, CSNet,
Computer Science Dept.,                              ARPAnet, BITNET)
University of Toronto,         krj@na.utoronto.ca   (on CDNnet and other
Toronto, Ontario,                                    X.400 nets (Europe))
Canada   M5S 1A4               ...!{uunet,pyramid,watmath,ubc-cs}!utai!krj
(Phone: 416-978-7075)                               (on UUCP)
(FAX: 416-978-4765)