[talk.religion.newage] Astrology and the flat earth

troly@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/24/87)

Keywords:platygaeanism,flat-earth,astrology

>In article <16324@topaz.rutgers.edu>, Chris Long wrote:
>
>> [Stuff about astrology]
>>
>> How can ANYBODY possibly believe in astrology?  Be for real, please.
>> Go ahead, flame me.  So scientists should know what they object to
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      [O.K.   :-)   ]

>> before they object to it?  If somebody told me the earth was flat,
>> I would know he was wrong without listening to his theory as to
>> why the earth was flat.  In the same way, they know astrology is
>> GARBAGE.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Why are you lumping platygaeanism in with astrology?
Astrology goes against all evidence, scientific method, and also common
sense. Platygaeanism is completely in accord with common sense, everyday
empirical observations, and (though currently unpopular) with scientific
method.
In fact the commonly cited "evidence" for round earth theories is sheer
bunkum and abuse of the scientific method.  "A man goes out on a long
journey. Eventually he returns, from a direction different from his starting
direction.  *Therefore* the earth is round."  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Remember the `horizon' argument?  That the earth *appears* to bend away
on all sides, and therefore it must be round. Completely ignoring the
fact that light, being the lightest thing around (no rest mass!), will
rise in air.  Haven't the round-earthers heard of optical illusions?
Golly!
More sophisticated sophistry by round-earthers must be refuted by more
sophisticated means, but I hope my point is clear. DO NOT LUMP PLATY-
GAEANISM IN WITH ASTROLOGY. Thanx

P.S.
My best friend went to Australia with her fiance this past summer.  She
didn't fall off.  QED
                 /
Bret Jolly (bo'-ret tro ly)  Mathemagus, LA platygaean society
             .

cok@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (11/25/87)

Some guy I won't libel by accusing him of writing this writes:

>Platygaeanism is completely in accord with common sense, everyday
>empirical observations, and (though currently unpopular) with scientific
>method.
>In fact the commonly cited "evidence" for round earth theories is sheer
>bunkum and abuse of the scientific method.  "A man goes out on a long
>journey. Eventually he returns, from a direction different from his starting
>direction.  *Therefore* the earth is round."  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
>Remember the "horizon' argument?  That the earth *appears* to bend away
>on all sides, and therefore it must be round. Completely ignoring the
>fact that light, being the lightest thing around (no rest mass!), will
>rise in air.  Haven't the round-earthers heard of optical illusions?
>Golly!

This is a joke, right?  Right?  It's got to be.

Aw, shit, we've been invaded by talk.religion.newage.
-------
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.bitnet       "I'd love to, m'lad, but this fine Havana
cok%psuvma.bitnet@psuvax1.uucp   magic wand is a bit too short to grant
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.psu.edu       wishes with."  Jackeen J. O'Malley