[talk.religion.newage] Flat Earth drivel

COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. Clark to the masses) (12/13/87)

In article <9796@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, troly@CS.UCLA.EDU says:

>In article <17127@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buita.UUCP (Jim Frost) writes:
>>
>>About the flat earth stuff:  It's easy to show the earth is spherical
>>and also to find it's diameter.  All you have to do is take the angle
>>of the sun to the earth in relation to two lines (preferably
>>perpendicular).  Like, angle of sun to earth along longitudinal and
>>latitudinal lines (ie north-south and east-west).
>>
>>Do this at three points widely separated (same hemisphere) at the same
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>time on the same day and look at the data you get.  The discrepancies
>>in the data will give you the angles necessary to project to the
>>center of the earth.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>HO! HO! HO! Just because you believe in this round earth silliness doesn't
>mean you can use circular (spherical? :-)) reasoning. This technique you
>describe (which was used by Eratosthenes) gives you the diameter of the
>earth *assuming* that the earth is spherical.
>
>It is ironic that round earthers always resort to simple fallacies involving
>geometry, when geometry is the arena in which the chaos of modern round earth
[POP----------------------------GLITCH!] (to quote daegin@csd4.milw.wisc.edu)

Hey, Bret!  Have you ever been up in an airplane before?  Try it sometime, it
could change your perspective somewhat.  Though, really, what you could use
is a twenty point addition to your IQ.

There are those movies from the Moon.

Of course, they're made by the Evil Round-Earth Conspiracy Cartel, right?

They got Steven Spielberg and ILM to make this really great movie, which cost
several million dollars, just to convince you personally that the Earth's
round.  Then they tied you down and gave you electroshock therapy, and had the
CIA do LSD experiments on you to brainwash you, right?

They probably did.  That's why you're such a brain-damaged moron now.

Ever flown around the world, Bret?  Very probably not.  Bye bye.

-------
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.bitnet       "I'd love to, m'lad, but this fine Havana
cok%psuvma.bitnet@psuvax1.uucp   magic wand is a bit too short to grant
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.psu.edu       wishes with."  Jackeen J. O'Malley

vonn@wind.bellcore.com (Vonn Marsch) (12/14/87)

In article <27455COK@PSUVMA> COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. Clark to the masses) writes:
>Hey, Bret!  Have you ever been up in an airplane before?  Try it sometime, it
>could change your perspective somewhat.  Though, really, what you could use
>is a twenty point addition to your IQ.

Well, I've been in on many airplanes (sometimes with a window seat(!)) and
the darn thing *looked* flat...

But, say, has anyone ever met a *stupid* person who thought the earth
was flat? I have not. (I *believe* the earth is round, contrary to the
undeniable evidence presented to me, because it makes me feel better
to think of the earth as spherical.)

>There are those movies from the Moon.

>Of course, they're made by the Evil Round-Earth Conspiracy Cartel, right?

>CIA do LSD experiments on you to brainwash you, right?

Did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

By the sarcastic tone of your posting, it seems you think that the CIA
*didn't* perform experiments on unwilling subjects with LSD (how quickly
they forget). I suppose you think they're "on our side".

>They probably did.  That's why you're such a brain-damaged moron now.

Since when does LSD cause brain damage? "Just say 'no', kids, or you'll
end up a brain-damaged moron who believes the earth is flat!"

vonn

rjp1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (12/15/87)

okay, okay.  is the Earth flat?  no.  it's molecular.

yeah.  molecular.  lots of quarks held together.

still an illusion though, just like flat [and round] appearances.

only, my eyes have to use a microscope to see it.

this too is an illusion.

what?  never mind.

i'll take ham n cheese on rye, thankyou..

Bob Pietkivitch   ( e - x - p - o - s - u - r - e )   UUCP: ihnp4!ihlpa!rjp1

esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (12/16/87)

In article <27496COK@PSUVMA> COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. Clark to the masses) writes:

>I still believe that platygeanists are not personally stupid, but possessed of
>an incredibly stupid belief.  ....

Well, I will take that one farther and state that these platapussiens or
whatever are quite personaly stupid. In fact, they have got to be the
most moronic folks on this earth. Usless gene pool contamination all of
em..

--
In Real Life:			UUCP: ...ihnp4!codas!ufcsv!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj
Eric S. Johnson II              Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu