[talk.religion.newage] Moderation

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (11/13/89)

In article (Andrew C. Plotkin) writes:
> Even so, creating the group will not keep out the fundies, skeptics,
> or other posters whose sole purpose seems to be bent on detraction
> and/or harassment.  Is moderation such a dirty word?

Great tactic that: Lump together two groups who consider themselves
quite fundamentally different. Makes them both angry. I consider the newagers
and the "fundies", as you call them, very similar because, by my way of
thinking both find solace in irrationality. The fundies put me in with the
newagers, because we haven't found Jesus. You put me (I guess I'm one of
your "skeptics") in with the fundies because, well, you tell me. The point
is that it works. You had me going there for a few seconds.

A woderful example comes up again and again: Every few months a certain
correspondent posts a message to some group or another saying "Atheism is a
religion." He must do it just for spite, because the atheists rail against
it for months every time. I know I did.

Now to the question at hand: Is "moderation" (as in "moderator")
a dirty word?

If you want to silence opinions you don't share, it can be a wonderful
word, or a nasty one, depending on whether the moderator agrees with you.
I really don't see why anybody would favor moderators for these talk
groups. The exchange of ideas is what it's all about. If somebody is
rude, or if they write things you don't want to read, just ignore them.
It's just for fun, right?

ap1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew C. Plotkin) (11/15/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.talk.religion.newage: 13-Nov-89 Re: Moderation
> (was Re: Dis.. Dave Jones@megatest.UUCP (1463)

> In article (Andrew C. Plotkin) writes:
> > Even so, creating the group will not keep out the fundies, skeptics,
> > or other posters whose sole purpose seems to be bent on detraction
> > and/or harassment.  Is moderation such a dirty word?

> Great tactic that: Lump together two groups who consider themselves
> [....]

Disclaimer: I didn't write that. (I don't remember who did.) Please
watch your attributions.

--Z

In article <9608@goofy.megatest.UUCP>, djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:

|  A woderful example comes up again and again: Every few months a certain
|  correspondent posts a message to some group or another saying "Atheism is a
|  religion." He must do it just for spite, because the atheists rail against
|  it for months every time. I know I did.

  ??? How could anyone disagree with that? A religion is a (system of)
beliefs about the nature of God. I can't see that anyone could possibly
deny you the right to call yourself a religion of you choose to do so.
that the world is flat!" - anon