[talk.religion.newage] talk.religion.pagan, etc -- call for non-binding votes

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/25/89)

In article <1989Nov23.203152.20791@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> ptgarvin@uokmax.UUCP
(Patrick T. Garvin) writes:
>Might be a good idea to do the single transferable vote method, since
>the poll for all the different names didn't come up with a single
>clear winner (it came up with a majority rather than a 2/3rds margin or
>anything like that).

No, it didn't come up with a majority.  It came up with a plurality,
which is even weaker.  2/3 of the votes cast were *not* for
talk.religion.pagan.  And the second place winner, our of six
candidates, was for no change at all.

Look, let's settle this thing.  The results of the existing poll were
too indecisive to serve as a basis for action, and as has been pointed
out, some people want a new group rather than a renaming.  I don't
think there's enough interest on tis net in what is now called "new age"
metaphysics to sustain a group consisting solely of that, and I don't
think it's fair to other occultists for pagans and only pagans to get
their own group.  So I support a rename with a more inclusive name.
Others disagree.  I am now calling for votes on these issues.  Voting
will go on until I receive no votes for a week, or until Yule, whichever
comes first.  Names of voters will be posted.  Please use the following
form, putting your response after the "Answer: " lines.

1.  Should talk.religion.newage be:
	a) Left as it is?
	b) Renamed to something more inclusive, like talk.religion.magic?
	c) Left as it is, but supplemented with a Neo-Pagan group?
	d) Left as it is, but supplemented with a general "occult" group?
Answer:

2.  If you chose anything but (a) for question 1, what would you prefer as
    the name of the new or renamed group?
	a) talk.religion.magic
	b) talk.religion.pagan
	c) talk.religion.metaphysics
	d) talk.religion.wicca
	e) talk.religion.occult
	f) talk.religion.esoteric
	g) talk.religion.earth
	h) other (specify:)
Answer:

3.  Should the new or existing group (whether a renamed or un-renamed
    talk.religion.newage or a newly created supplement group) be:
	a)  Moderated?
	b)  Unmoderated?
Answer:

4.  If you chose moderation (a) in question 3, do you have anyone you would
    like to nominate as the moderator?  If so, please state the name.
Answer:

Send votes to hoptoad!tim.  hoptoad calls (among others) the following
sites, any of which may be prefixed to its name (e.g., sun!hoptoad!tim).
On a UNIX system, you can use "uuname" to find which of these sites
your own system calls.

amdahl
amdcad
apple
decwrl
gatech
lll-crg
nsc
pacbell
portal
pyramid
sun
telebit
unisoft
utzoo
uunet
well

Internet users may send votes to "tim@toad.com" or "hoptoad!tim@sun.com".

Please do vote; if we get another low turnout, then we should assume that
"no change" is the winner.

"Something was badly amiss with the spiritual life of the planet, thought
 Gibreel Farishta.  Too many demons inside people claiming to believe in
 God." -- Salman Rushdie, THE SATANIC VERSES

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (11/28/89)

In article <9075@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Look, let's settle this thing.  The results of the existing poll were
>too indecisive to serve as a basis for action, and as has been pointed
>out, some people want a new group rather than a renaming.
-----------

    I have seen NO ONE ask for or want a renaming, so why does it
keep coming up as a (non-) issue?

    As for enough traffic to support it, there seems to be quite a bit
of non-pagan, newage traffic.  Certainly alot more than several newsgroups
on my newsrc list that only get traffic once or twice a month.

    As for whether or not it is fair -- what is fair?  We have a group of
people that would like to discuss such matters separate from other
topics.  You could argue that alot of groups are unfair to some other
group of people.  Like, lets see, ANY religious group, any group for a
particular vendor's computers, any group for a particular vendor's OS,
etc.  The list could go on for quite a bit.  So this also is rather a
non-issue (or at least should be).

    The main point should be whether or not there is a group of people
that would benefit from the creation of a separate group.

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.