[rec.games.empire] bugquest? egoquest??

billw@killer.UUCP (12/05/87)

mr-frog@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Dave Pare) writes:
>In my opinion, conquest is made for a micro, and not for the "real"
>UNIX world.  The author hasn't heard of "curses", and even if he did
>there are probably millions of micros out there who wouldn't have it.
>I wouldn't know, because I don't have one.

Pull your head out of the sand and join the real world. Conquest USES curses.

>However, I do "have" a 4.3 BSD vax, which allows for memory protection,
>a real operating system, socket IPC, and (gasp) multi-tasking, all of
>which make game writing a real pleasure.  It also has a decent screen
>package called curses!

You really, honestly think that conquest was written for a micro, don't you?
Wake up! The game was written for System V UNIX. Not Berkeley UNIX (not BSD?
Oh my god, the horror of it!), but System V. It runs on BSD because a few BSD
users hacked on it to make it work. The author did NOT claim that the game
would work right on a Berkeley system. But, hey, you are obviously lucky
enough to know The One True Way, so why not just let us poor, barbaric System V
users suffer in our own pathetic way? After all, anything from AT&T must not
be a real operating system.

Multi-tasking? Is that when, like, you can be printing something while you
play Hunt the Wumpus? Wow!

>The user interface needs a few weeks worth of work by an experienced
>UNIX hack to make it presentable.  I've used software written by people
>who really know how to make a screen interface look good and quite frankly,
>this one sucks.  There's no ^Z, your terminal is hosed when you leave the
>game, window repaints don't always work correctly...it is basically
>an unpleasant experience for someone used to "rogue" or "hunt".

My, what an UNPLEASANT experience for you to have to suffer. Well, I'm sorry
to have to shatter your faith in such a cruel fashion, but not everyone in
the big bad world can make a super-fantastic-golly-gee-whiz-bang-isn't-it-
neato-keen? user interface. There's no ^Z? My heart bleeds for you. I guess
you followers of The One True Way just go nuts when you can't use job control,
right? I mean, for chrissake, you should actually be expected to have a decent
attention span?!

>Jef suggested that the author didn't spend enough time whipping the game
>into shape before release.  I have a copy of Jef (and Craig "thanks in
>advance" Leres') game, and it was rock solid and as far as I could
>tell -- completely bug-free.  The user interface was nice, too!  It
>would seem that he spent his two years somewhat more profitably than
>did the author of conquest.

Poor Jef with his bruised ego. No, the author DIDN'T spend years polishing
his game: in fact, the reason he released the game was to gather fixes and
get the help of thousands of net users in making the game better. No man is
an island.

>Conquest appears to be a game that would be fine played on bulletin
>boards (as long as players were relatively honest), but would need
>much modification to be played on larger machines (such as BSD Vaxen!)
>with, say 30 people playing all at once.

Conquest just isn't gonna get long with The One True Way. If you had the
ability to comprehend such things, I would tell you that the author works for
AT&T, so he only has access to AT&T UNIX machines, nothing that runs BSD.
Perhaps you would like to start a charity, get a 1-800 phone number, organize
a telethon, and raise enough money to introduce him to The One True Way.

>I think conquest has been made for micros.  It should stay there
>and not pretend to work on real machines, confusing some of us, and
>irritating others.  In my opinion, it isn't quite up to other games
>which were made strictly for multiuser machines.

I think you're an arrogant fool who hasn't the slightest idea what you're
talking about. Barlow probably hasn't touched a micro in his life. I, on the
other hand, own one, and regret to have to inform you that it most definitely
IS a real machine. At least, I've owned it for nine months, and it hasn't
yet vanished in a puff of logic. But - ah, I keep forgetting, any computer
that conflicts with The One True Way is contraband, and must be destroyed. The
purity of the movement must not be breached.
--
Bill Wisner, HASA "A" Division		..{codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw
Immanentizing the Eschaton at a site near you.