Date: Fri, 17 Apr 87 18:04:57 est
From: berger%datacube.UUCP@CCA.CCA.COM (Bob Berger)
To: laser-lovers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: 11 x 17 Postscript Printer?

Does anyone know of a Postscript compatable printer that can deal with
11 x 17 (B size) paper?  We'd love to have one to print our schematics
and other technical drawings on!  Postscript is a must....

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 87 19:41:05 est
From: berger%datacube.UUCP@CCA.CCA.COM (Bob Berger)
To: laser-lovers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: DEC Printserver

Does anyone know if the DEC Printserver can work with SUN's and Pyramid
running unix with a TCP/IP eternet?  Is the printer worth so much money
($47,900)!  It does print on 11 x 17 paper....

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

tj@utgpu.UUCP (05/05/87)

We have a TI 2115 PostScript printer and I have seen the 2108 PostScript Laser
printers. We also have another TI 2115 PostScript printer
on backorder.

We ordered them both in October 86. Got the first Feb 87, the second is
"in transit, should be here this Friday" according to dealer. The quality
of the first 2115 is worse than horrible BUT according to the distributor
TI made some Engineering changes to correct the problems and the second
one should be better. The first will get an upgrade to bring it up to spec
as well. The upgrade should be available 4-5 weeks after we get printer
number 2!

We have also experienced VERY short OPC belt life (4000 12000 pages)
especially considering their rated life of 20000 pages and the service
person's expectation that they will in fact last 30000. The cost of these
OPC belts is a significant portion of the page cost when comparing
printers and to get less than rated life out of them results in significant
cost per page increases. This one of the main reasons we went for the
TI over Canon based printers.

I have a meeting with the local TI dealer and a representative of TI
to discuss the problems we have been having. I get the impression that
TI will stand behind their product (as opposed to hiding behind) and
we should get some satisfaction. I will post again one way or the other
when things get resolved. TI will either go down in flame or glory
in my books on this one!!!

tj
.

tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.EDU (tj) (05/05/87)