[comp.laser-printers] TeX support for Xerox 9700 printers

Kent_Wada@UBC.MAILNET (05/05/87)

The Computing Centre at the University of British Columbia has
recently begun to support TeX fully. Our Math department has had TeX
up and running on an Imagen printer for some time now, and the CC
itself has offered a service based on a QMS 1200. We have found the
QMS inadequate for the increasing TeX loads we are experiencing, and
would like to provide a TeX service based on our Xerox 9700 and
Xerox 4050 printers; even with the foresight that they will be
unlikely to be capable of handling certain types of TeX jobs. We
already provide a limited service on the 9700/4050 printers, but
would like to see it become less restrictive.

In an effort to save ourselves from reinventing the wheel, we would
be very interested in hearing from anyone who may be using TeX on a
Xerox 9700-class printer. (Both our 9700 and 4050 have CD/IG3 with 8
megabits of font memory.) In particular, does anybody already have:

(1) the cm fonts in Xerox 9700-loadable format?
(2) a utility to get from Metafont font descriptions (gf files) to
    Xerox 9700 loadable files? A version in WEB would be preferable,
    of course, but anything would probably be useful to us.
(3) the use of any Mergenthaler fonts through TeX? We already have
    the full Century Schoolbook fonts from Xerox, and would love to
    get TFM files for them!
(4) their 9700 driven in line-printer mode (as opposed to native/
    metacode mode)? What kind of DVI-to-Xerox-9700 drivers do people
    have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kent Wada
Computing Centre, UBC

  ARPA: kent_wada%ubcmtsg.bitnet%ubc@relay.cs.net
BITNET: userwada@ubcmtsg
CDNnet: kent_wada@ubcmtsg.bitnet
 CSNET: kent_wada%ubcmtsg.bitnet@ubc
  UUCP: ...{ihnp4!alberta,seismo}!ubc-vision!ubcmtsg.bitnet!kent_wada

 Phone: 604 228 6496
C Post: Computing Centre/The University of British Columbia/6356
        Agricultural Road/Vancouver, British Columbia/Canada V6T 1W5

shor@sphinx.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (05/14/87)

In article <8705132120.AA19776@brillig.umd.edu> Kent_Wada@UBC.MAILNET writes:
>In an effort to save ourselves from reinventing the wheel, we would
>be very interested in hearing from anyone who may be using TeX on a
>Xerox 9700-class printer.

We purchased DVIXER from ArborText, and had some real problems with
it.  We're running it under MVS, which is certainly the source of the
problem, since the fellow who wrote it doesn't have access to an MVS
system (really).  It's a pretty dumb program, and not supported by the
staff at ArborText.  They know nothing about it, and refer all
questions to the author.  They're distributing the cm, am, and latex
fonts.  I managed to find a program that converts pxl fonts to 9700
format and we will be converting the AMS fonts as well.

So, we're going to be trying out the driver produced at Texas A&M.
It supports real font conversion and downloading for fonts not on
the printer, the use of Mergenthaler fonts, and imposition printing.
They're talking about adding support for inclusion of EPIC graphics
and other goodies.  If it's as good as their Waterloo Script -> 9700
driver we'll probably chuck DVIXER.

The font conversion utility from Delaware is in the public domain.
It's written in C and expects to run under Unix, but is probably
easy to convert for your favorite OS.  If there's sufficient interest,
I'll post it.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center         shor@sphinx.uchicago.edu