[comp.laser-printers] Mailing Labels

DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Steve Dennett) (05/04/87)

We have a Laserwriter and a LaserJet, and would like to be able to print
mailing labels on them.  Does anyone have any suggestions for labels
(manufacturer, stock #) and suppliers of labels that would work with these
machines?  Any caveats about running labels through laser printers?  Thanks!

Steve Dennett
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa
-------

Beebe@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU ("Nelson H.F. Beebe") (05/14/87)

We use Avery 5360 labels; there are 3 columns of 7 labels,
each 1 7/16in x 2 13/16in.  Our address files look like

name
addr1
addr2
addrn

name
addr1
addr2
addrn

etc.

On the ALW, I find that tray feeding is not successful; the
label sheets have a shiny back, and tend to slip on the
rollers, losing registration so that text overprints
perforations.  For small numbers, manual feeding may be
okay.  Usually, we just make a master sheet on the ALW, then
photocopy onto the label sheets.

A utility program (LABELS) I wrote (yours for the asking)
converts this to a multi-column file (on Unix "pr
-3" could do this) which we print with the following MIC
file.  LPtoPS is also freely available (converts line
printer files to PostScript).

!=======================================================================
! Make PostScript print file of mailing labels (set for manual feed)
!
! Usage:
!	@DO --PS-LABELS.MIC.0 infile[,sheets,labelswitch,labelswitch,...]
!
! There are 21 labels per sheet.
!
! E.g.
!	@DO --PS-LABELS foo.labels
!
! will make one sheet of 21 labels for each address in FOO.LABELS.
!
! [10-Jun-86]
!=======================================================================

@copy 'a	foo.lab
@labels foo.lab foo.lst /c:21 'c 'd 'e 'f 'g 'h 'i 'j 'k 'l 'm 'n 'o 'p 'q 'r 's 't 'u 'v 'w 'x 'y 'z

! -s option suppressed -- use ordinary paper and Xerox onto label paper

@lptops -m3 -c'b -p10pt -t0.25in -b0in -l0.25in -r0in -fTimes-Bold <foo.lst >psspool:foo.alw

-------

grim@UDEL.EDU (Dan Grim) (06/09/87)

Xerox makes very good single sheet self-adhesive mailing labels.  They
cost ~$30/box of 100 and come in 1 inch high by 2 5/6 inches wide giving
33 labels per sheet (order number 3R2362).  They also come 24 per sheet
where each label is 1 3/8 inch high (order number 3R2363).  They also
come in a few other configurations.

Dan

russ@oakhill.UUCP.UUCP (06/09/87)

In article <8706031619.AA08891@brillig.umd.edu> grim@UDEL.EDU (Dan Grim) writes:
>Xerox makes very good single sheet self-adhesive mailing labels.  They
>cost ~$30/box of 100 and come in 1 inch high by 2 5/6 inches wide giving
>33 labels per sheet (order number 3R2362).  They also come 24 per sheet
>where each label is 1 3/8 inch high (order number 3R2363).  They also
>come in a few other configurations.
>
>Dan

Does Xerox or Avery (another maker of self-adhesive labels for copiers and
Laserwriters) make a sheet of labels for 3 1/2" diskettes (about 2.75" x 2.75")?

I have found labels for use in an Imagewriter but not for use in a copier.

Thanks for any information you can turn up. Please email and I'll post
a summary if there is one.

--
Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. (A suburb of Austin)
UUCP: {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!russ

It's a ticket agent, it's a fare collector, no ... it's SUPERCONDUCTOR!!!

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (06/22/87)

--------

For self-adhesive disk labels for laser printers, contact:
Williams & Macias, PO Box 19206, Spokane, Washington 99219
(800) 752-4400 or (509) 458-6312