[comp.laser-printers] Books About IBMPC DTP

JTT58@ALBNYVM1.BITNET (Jim Tedeschi) (06/16/87)

I am aware of many books on various software applications.  Some of them are
 better than the manuals for those applications.  For example, Tips and Tricks
  in Using WordPerfect is much better than the Manual.  Are there similar books
 for DTP applications for the IBM (e.g., PageMaker, Ventura, etc.)? If the
  response warrants, I will post repliwillThe F@icst69

pracuff@BRL-SMOKE.ARPA (Phillip R. Acuff) (06/28/87)

In article <8706241911.AA14092@brillig.umd.edu> JTT58@ALBNYVM1.BITNET (Jim Tedeschi) writes:
>I am aware of many books on various software applications.  Some of them are
> better than the manuals for those applications.  For example, Tips and Tricks
>  in Using WordPerfect is much better than the Manual.  Are there similar books
> for DTP applications for the IBM (e.g., PageMaker, Ventura, etc.)? If the
>  response warrants, I will post replies to the list.

I found one book that covers DTP on the IBM PC in general terms.  It is written
by the technical editor at PUBLISH! and a contributing editor at PC WORLD and
PUBLISH!, so these authors are experienced.  I found the book a good beginners
manual to DTP because it explains a lot of the publishing terms, shows
examples of popular typefaces ( you know, the ones everyone sees on the printed
page but no one knows the names) and discusses laser printers for both the MAC
and IBM.   Book info follows:

Felici, James & Ted Nace, "Desktop Publishing Skills - A primer for Typesetting
  with Computers and Laser Printers", Reading, Massachusetts:Addison-Wesley
  Publishing Company, 1987.

List Price $19.95

Note: The authors typeset the book themselves, Addison-Wesley just
reproduced it from camera ready copy supplied from the authors.