[comp.laser-printers] DEC Printserver-40 and Unix machines

MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) (06/15/87)

Summary
        We want to access a DEC Printserver 40  from Sun
        workstations.  Are there any problems?

Detail
        We want to access the printer across the Ethernet
        both from VMS VAXes and the Suns (running Sun OS
        3.3).  I recall someone (from Project Athena, I
        think) saying that to get the PS40 working from a
        Unix machine they had to do a lot of work, some of
        it requiring inside info from DEC.

        Does anyone know more about this?  What software
        would be needed on the Suns - would we need Sun's
        Decnet stuff?

(Posted to both Info-PostScript and Laser-Lovers - apologies
for any duplicates).

Thanks in advance,

Niall

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (06/26/87)

In article <8706241909.AA14049@brillig.umd.edu>, MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) writes:
>         We want to access a DEC Printserver 40  from Sun
>         workstations.  Are there any problems?

This is not exactly what you want, but here we can access printers on
our VMS machines from our UNIX machines through DECnet -- we run DECnet/Ultrix
on our VAX 750.  I don't know if Sun's DECnet will let you do the same,
plus you would need a VMS machine to drive the PS40.

Here's a brief summary:

(our VMS machine is named LIMSDM::)

Use "dcp -P" to print from Ultrix to VMS

Add to /etc/printcap on the Ultrix machine:
lpvms|line printer on VMSNODE:: via DECnet:\
	:lp=/dev/null:\
	:of=/usr/local/lib/lpvms:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpvms:

If you have other BSD Unix machines, add a remote lpr entry to their printcaps.

This is /usr/local/lib/lpvms (an executable shell script):
	#! /bin/sh
	FILE=prt$$
	DIR=/tmp
	cat > $DIR/$FILE
	dcp -P $DIR/$FILE vmsnode::$FILE
	drm vmsnode::$FILE
	rm $DIR/$FILE

--
David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598

butcher@G.CS.CMU.EDU (Lawrence Butcher) (07/09/87)

I used the SUN Decnet software to snoop the Ethernet packets sent between a
VMS machine and the DEC Printserver 40.  I guessed enough about the protocol
to write a program to spool from the SUN to the printer via LPR.  I did not
discover what happens when there are exceptional conditions in the printer.
The software will not survive changes that DEC makes to the printing protocol.
I do not look inside Postscript files for structuring info.  I wrote this
bare-bones program simply to print my own Postscript documents directly from
the SUN.  I will send this (horrible hack) software to any programmer willing
to improve it.  The program could be converted to run under ULTRIX.

The LPS40 is a complicated and polished product.  It prints at a furious clip.
The printer contains a microvax with lots of memory and no local disk.  DEC
provides VMS software to boot the machine over the Ethernet.  Our LPS40 has
never broken, but I assume that DEC field service would want to download
diagnostics from a VMS machine.  DEC's VMS spooling software gets interesting
messages about printer status back from the LPS40.  Without detailed
documentation of the printing protocol it would be impossible to duplicate
the quality of DEC's supporting software.  Our printer is booted and managed
from a VMS microvax, and most of our users spool thru the VMS machine.

				Lawrence.Butcher@g.cs.cmu.edu

[[Editor's note:  Anyone interested in this should contact
Lawrence.Butcher directly.		--Rick  ]]