[comp.laser-printers] reset page counter

JCLARK@UTKVX4.BITNET (06/16/87)

I have seen the page count reset, but under totally dissimilar circumstances.
When our computer center had its LaserWriter upgraded to a LW+
its page count was reset to zero.  It really surprised me, since only two
days before another LaserWriter had been upgraded with no reset
of the page count.  Evidently there must be some bizarre circumstances
that cause the "impossible" to occur.

Jim Clark
UT Martin

greid@adobe.UUCP (06/28/87)

The page count is maintained in a location in the EEROM on a LaserWriter
or LaserWriter Plus.  If the EEROM fails (or is replaced), the page count
will be reset to 0.  It is possible to upgrade to a LW+ without replacing
the EEROM, I believe, but it is not recommended.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

weiser.pa@Xerox.COM (06/29/87)

I have had the page counter on my LW reset a couple of times.  Both
times it happened after a static discharge from my finger to the LW.
Once everything was otherwise ok, the other time the ROM was shot and
the LW had to be returned for a new one (still under warrantee).

-mark

mkm@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Mark Murray) (07/09/87)

We've a number of LW's here, most of which have been throught the
experience of having their page counters reset to random numbers at
undetermined times.

olson@endor.UUCP (Eric Olson) (07/15/87)

In article <8707151322.AA02222@brillig.umd.edu> mkm@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Mark Murray) writes:

>We've a number of LW's here, most of which have been throught the
>experience of having their page counters reset to random numbers at
>undetermined times.

The LaserWriter and LaserWriter+ keep the page count in the non-volatile
memory (statusdict), along with other permanent settings like the name
and whether to print the startup page.  My understanding was that
the memory used to store this information can be written on the order of
40,000 times before it "wears out" and will no longer {change|work at all}.

If this is the case, then if the printer sets the page count on each page,
it would wear out rather quickly.  If the printer detects powerdown and
copies a volatile page count into the NVR, then it would last longer,
but it would still eventually wear out.

There's also the (somewhat more likely) possibility that a PS interpreter
crash could write into the NVR.  Has anyone had the _name_ of their LW
change unexplainedly?

Anyone at Apple or Adobe care to comment?

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson