[comp.laser-printers] laser writer - macs and ibms at the same time.

Weinstein@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (06/29/87)

I remember reading some time ago that someone had a laser writer with
both macs on the appletalk net and an ibm on the rs232 port both using
the laser writer.

Is this possible?

What needs to be done to accomplish this.

Anyone who can shine some light on this topic...  I thank you in
advance.

          Weinstein -at HI-MULTICS

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (07/09/87)

In article <8707081857.AA07603@brillig.umd.edu> Weinstein@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>I remember reading some time ago that someone had a laser writer with
>both macs on the appletalk net and an ibm on the rs232 port both using
>the laser writer.
>
>Is this possible?
>
>What needs to be done to accomplish this.

I don't know about IBM's, but we have a mini computer with Berkeley 4.2 on the
9600 baud port and a mac on the appletalk one, and they work fine.  You just
turn the switch from one to the other, depending on what you need.  Don't need
to reboot the printer, in our experience.

--
"From his own viewpoint, no one ever has false beliefs; he only *had* false
beliefs."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

mmue@ethz.UUCP (07/17/87)

In article <8707151332.AA02500@brillig.umd.edu> sarge@thirdi.UUCP writes
about sharing a LaserWriter beetween Macintoshes and a mini computer:

>I don't know about IBM's, but we have a mini computer with Berkeley 4.2 on the
>9600 baud port and a mac on the appletalk one, and they work fine.  You just
>turn the switch from one to the other, depending on what you need.  Don't need
>to reboot the printer, in our experience.

Unfortunately we made a different experience: When switching to serial mode,
the RS422 port normally used for AppleTalk also turns into a serial port,
sending all kinds of garbage into the AppleTalk cable where it calls for
trouble. If you disconnect the AppleTalk RS422 plug from the LaserWriter
(not the AppleTalk bus cable from the white box!) while running in serial
mode, things should be fine.

--
   Markus Mueller
   Institut fuer Informatik