					--Rick

   From: reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid)
   Date: 19 Jul 1987 1131-PDT (Sunday)

   Last week I heard a rumor that Unilogic had been acquired by some
   comapny called Accent Systems. Here is the only information I've been
   able to dig up about it. This is a very reliable source.

   ------Begin forwarded message

   What I know about this is based on a couple of quickly-scanned articles
   in the local business press (which unfortunately I didn't save) plus
   assorted rumors that have come drifiting by.

   When Perq Systems went under, several pieces lived on.  The Lisp group,
   such as it was, became the nucleus of Expert Technologies. Some of the
   software group lived on as Connor-Scelza Associates.  Kelly Hickel, the
   president of Perq at the time of the demise, took a few of the refugees
   and formed Accent Systems.  I believe that their plan was to continue
   providing technical support for a couple of big Perq customers in
   printing and publishing, including a company (Atex, I think) that had
   obtained a license to continue manufacturing Perqs.

   (unsubstantiated rumors edited out here)
		     ... ended up selling Unilogic to Accent Systems.
   Pittsburgh Business Times mumbled something about the price not being
   disclosed, but that it was in the "mid-seven figures", whatever that
   means.  At about the same time, Accent Systems got acquired by some
   conglomerate-builder out of New York -- a guy who made his initial
   money in some low-tech field like oil. (Sorry, I can't retrieve the
   name...)  I don't know if Hickel is still involved or not.  There are
   rumors in the press that this guy might also buy some or all of what is
   left of Lexeme.

   Supposedly CMU has received assurances that the new owner will continue
   to maintain Scribe, but the more cynical folks around here tend
   not to believe that the service will be very good (not that it was great
   before).  So the drift to Tex and/or Latex is accelerating.  I'll
   probably make the move myself, next time I write something big.

   ------- End of Forwardeoreg97
ni3