[comp.laser-printers] Japanese character font

miller@pilchuck.data-io.COM (Gerry Miller) (07/21/87)

I'm posting this for Eric Shilling. Please reply to me:

I want to add Japanese language to the U.W. computer typography/graphics
capability.
So. . . Does anyone know of a machine readable(!) Japanese language character
font. The kanji (Chinese characters) are the challange here. PostScript would
be nice, of course, but bit map format is what I'm expecting.
I'd appreciate any leads.
Thanks,  Eric Shilling

BNB@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Barbara Beeton) (07/29/87)

in the upcoming issue of tugboat, there is an article by yasuki saito
of ntt electrical communications labs, tokyo, on "jtex", a japanese tex.
included in the article is a description of how the japanese character
set has been accommodated by tex, how fonts were obtained and tex-compatible
files generated, and several samples of tex output in japanese, including
a full jis code table.  this tugboat should be mailed to subscribers
within the next few days; anyone who is not a current member of tug can
get more information from the tug office: tex users group, p o box 9506,
providence, ri 02940, 301-272-9500, ext 232.
					-- barbara beeton
					   editor, tugboat
p.s.  apologies for not replying directly to gerry miller, who sent the
original inquiry, but the mit host table doesn't recognize his node name,
and i don't know the proper gateway to forward it.
-------

blackje%sungod.tcpip@GE-CRD.ARPA (07/29/87)

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 10:10:54 EDT
From: emmett black <blackje@sungod>
Posted-Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 10:10:54 EDT
To: laser-lovers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: Re:  Japanese character font

What about the old "Hershey Fonts" ?
Wasn't there a set of oriental fonts in that set?

They may be low-rez;  but they would be a start.

--Emmett

GUENTHER@WSUVM1.BITNET (Dean Guenther) (07/30/87)

>So. . . Does anyone know of a machine readable(!) Japanese language character
>font. The kanji (Chinese characters) are the challange here. PostScript would
>be nice, of course, but bit map format is what I'm expecting.

IBM has a pretty good size library of Kanji fonts, but that may not do you
much good unless you are using their printers. There are two other
possibilities: There are two fellows giving talks at the upcoming TUG
meeting at the U of W who are using Japanese TeX (JTEX). You could send
notes to them or see them at the TUG meeting if you'll be there.
They are:

       Nobuo Saito
       Keio University
       ns%kossvax.keio.junet%ccut.cc.u-tokyo.junet@utokyo-relay.csnet

and

       Yaski Saito
       NTT
       yaski%ntt-20@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

------------------------
Dean Guenther
TeX IBM VM/CMS Site Coordinator
Washington State University
Pullman, Wa.
99164-1220

phone:   509-335-0411
BITnet:  GUENTHER@WSUVM1

rice@swatsun.UUCP.UUCP (07/31/87)

	How can one obtain a copy of the Hershey fonts?

--
- Dan Rice, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081
``I hear you're mad about Brubeck... I like your eyes, I like him too...''

rohde%almond.hepnet@LBL.ARPA (08/04/87)

Pass along to Eric Shilling (who's in search of Kanji fonts) that they
are available from Talaris in their "Miscellaneous" font set.