[comp.laser-printers] Laser cartridge help needed

jim@hoptoad.UUCP (Jim Joyce) (08/07/87)

Regarding the refilling of cartridges:
The procedure sounds just awful and awkward.  A friend of mine is in  the  busi-
ness  of  refilling  cartridges  but  also needs info on where to get empty car-
tridges.  She heard of a company in San Jose that sells  empty  cartridges,  but
did  not get a company name, phone, or address.  Can anyone lend a hand with the
info?  You can reply to this account, or even better directly to her:

        utzoo!darwin!ontmohdavis
or,
        utzoo!syntrondavis

Thanks!
	--Jim Joyce
--
e-mail:  ...!{sun,lll-crg}!hoptoad!jim
Snail:	Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore

nightjob@well.UUCP.UUCP (08/20/87)

The PC manager at this office has been told that we do not need to
purchase Apple cartriges for the Apple LaserWriter, but that
HP Laserjet cartriges can be used interchangeably.  Can anyone comment
on this advice before the it is implemented?

Thanks
Hank Roberts

SEB@CRNLNS.BITNET.UUCP (09/08/87)

Hank,

Apple, HP, QMS, Talaris and many other Laser Printer manufacturers
actually use Cannon print engines and add their own controllers.
The cartriges are made by Cannon, and relabled by them.
The only difference is the paper sticker on the outside of the box.
We have been using HP cartridges for several years in Talaris and
Apple printers with no ill effects.

I hope this helps.

Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                 NYNEX: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies     BITNET: SEB@CRNLNS
Wilson Synchrotron Lab              ARPA: SEB%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Judd Falls & Dryden Road          HEPnet/SPAN:
Ithaca, NY, USA  14853             LNS61::SEB = 44283::SEB (node 43.251)

fyl@ssc.UUCP.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <8708292041.AA24609@brillig.umd.edu>, nightjob@well.UUCP (Hank Roberts as MoFo fw) writes:
> The PC manager at this office has been told that we do not need to
> purchase Apple cartriges for the Apple LaserWriter, but that
> HP Laserjet cartriges can be used interchangeably.  Can anyone comment
> on this advice before the it is implemented?

It's true.  It is the same canon laser printer engine and it
doesn't care if the box the cartridge comes in says Apple, HP
or Cannon.

Also, the recharging people seem to be getting their act together.
We now use recharged chartridges for about 1/2 the price.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |