[comp.laser-printers] Adobe PostScript with Color??

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (09/13/87)

Is Adobe modifying the Postscript standard to include color?  If so,
is it the same as Sun's NeWS colors?  Sorry if this question was
answered last week - I don't get to monitor this group all the
time.  Thanks!

Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken

Disclaimer: These are my own views, not my employers.

zwicky@tut.cis.ohio-state.EDU (Elizabeth Zwicky) (09/25/87)

In article <172@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:
>Is Adobe modifying the Postscript standard to include color?

>Dave Bakken
>uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken

The PostScript standard has always included color. The primitives
sethsbcolor, currenthsbcolor, setrgbcolor, and currentrgbcolor are
original to PostScript, not added by NeWS. They aren't of much use
on a LaserWriter, but they're there. The only addition made by NeWS
was to make color objects.

	Elizabeth Zwicky

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (10/05/87)

--------

In article <8710022114.AA18492@brillig.umd.edu> zwicky@tut.cis.ohio-state.EDU (Elizabeth Zwicky) writes:
> In article <172@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:
> >Is Adobe modifying the Postscript standard to include color?
> The PostScript standard has always included color. The primitives
> sethsbcolor, currenthsbcolor, setrgbcolor, and currentrgbcolor are
> original to PostScript, not added by NeWS. They aren't of much use
> on a LaserWriter, but they're there. The only addition made by NeWS
> was to make color objects.
>         Elizabeth Zwicky

The above is only *partially* true.  sethsbcolor, currenthsbcolor, setrgbcolor,
and currentrgbcolor are the color equivalents of setgray and currentgray.  What
is missing from the PostScript Language Specification are the color equivalents
of image, settransfer, currenttransfer, setscreen, and currentscreen.

If Adobe has extended the PostScript Language Specification to include new
primitives for handling color images, perhaps they could post this information
to the net.

                                 Herb Weiner (...!tektronix!midas!herbw)