[comp.laser-printers] Postscript and bit-mapped fonts

barnett@mozart.UUCP (Bruce Barnett) (10/07/87)

In article <1304@thebes.swatsun.UUCP> greenber@swatsun (Peter Greenberg) writes:
>BTW, PostScript(tm) accomodates bit-map fonts too, and the Hershey
>outline fonts by NBS are available for little or nothing, so you can make due
>without curving anything.

Let me repeat a request I made earlier.

I would like to include some bitmap fonts in a troff document,
and print them on a LaserWriter. In particular, the old english
versatec fonts on a Berkeley 4.3bsd system.

I have ditroff (binary only), transcript and psfig installed.
I have even (almost) figured out how to get at the additional symbols
in the /Symbol font from troff ( I wanted the characters for hearts,
spades, clubs and diamonds).

But I would really like to include some (fixed size - of course)
bit maped fonts in a ditroff/postscript ( or even just postscript)
document.

Can anyone give me a code fragment, a program or a clue on how to do
this in a semi-automatic manner?

Bruce Barnett
barnett@ge-crd.arpa
barnett@steinmetz.UUCP
uunet!steinmetz!barnett

greenber@swatsun.UUCP (Peter Greenberg) (10/20/87)

In article <8710081811.AA05637@brillig.umd.edu>, barnett@mozart.UUCP (Bruce Barnett) writes:

> I would like to include some bitmap fonts in a troff document,
> and print them on a LaserWriter. In particular, the old english
> versatec fonts on a Berkeley 4.3bsd system.
> [...]
>
> But I would really like to include some (fixed size - of course)
> bit maped fonts in a ditroff/postscript ( or even just postscript)
> document.
>
> Can anyone give me a code fragment, a program or a clue on how to do
> this in a semi-automatic manner?
>
> Bruce Barnett
> barnett@ge-crd.arpa
> barnett@steinmetz.UUCP
> uunet!steinmetz!barnett

As a college senior last year I deliriously wrote two programs which may
address this problem. I cannot take full responsibility for anything I may
have written during this period, but hopefully this will help. I posted
both these programs seperately many moons ago.

One program, called v2ps, takes versatec font format files as input (on our
Sun 3.x system, these are in /usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts) and produces a
downloadable PostScript(tm) font (actually a PS script which loads the
font, then prints some meaningless stuff to show it off. You can hack this
as you please.) The results, as I remember, were, umm,
OK. My purpose at the time was to learn about PS font dictionaries and the
like.

The other program, which I took more seriously, is getafm, which querries
your PostScript creature about fonts that it knows about (one of the
built-in fonts, or another font such as one produced by v2ps.) It gets from
the PostScript creature a file in Adobe Font Metrics format (AFM) for one
or more of these fonts. (AFMs for the built-ins come with TranScript(tm))
Once you have one of these babies for a font you want to print in, it is an
almost simple matter to teach your typesetting machinery (troff, enscript,
etc.) to use that font. This was useful to us because our TranScript lacked
the AFM's for the new LW+ fonts.

If I get many requests for these things, I will repost them. Otherwise, I
guess I will email. I now log in to my alma mater over AT&T, so I have
no more access to my trusty LaserWriter Plus(tm), so I can't really do any
more work on this stuff.

Peter

--
Peter Greenberg, ImClone Systems, 180 Varick St., 7th Fl. New York, NY 10014
UUCP: ...{{seismo | inhp4}!bpa | {sun | rutgers}!liberty}!swatsun!greenber