[comp.laser-printers] LaserWriter spilling toner

stephen@archsci.su.OZ.AU (10/06/87)

Here in the architectural science dept at Sydney University we have a
pair of Apple LaserWriters.  One of these printers has developed a fault where
every now and then a large amount of toner powder is dumped inside the
printer (often a layer 1/16 " deep everywhere).  The problem usualy occurs
when a toner cartridge has been in the printer for about half its usual life.
Apple Computer Australia refuse to aknowledge that the printer has any fault
(they cant reproduce it with the printer on their bench), and in fact deny that
such a fault is possible.  They blame user error, however this cannot be the
case as we have 2 LaserWriters under the care of the same staff and the second
machine does not have the problem (it has only done 1/2 as many copies though).
Faulty toner cartridges has also been suggested but we have had the problem
with 10 different cartridges from differnt batches, also cartridges from the
same batches have been used in the good printer.
At present Apple have our printer at their workshops so all our printing has
been going to the good printer which has behaved perfectly so its not something
in the job mix that the dud printer gets that is making it muck up. Also at one
stage Apple loaned us one of their printers to replace our dud and it sat in
the exact same position and with the same power supply and users as the dud and
yet behaved perfectly over a 2 week trial.

Has anyone on the net experienced these problems or similar?

Stephen Tolhurst (Computer System Administrator) (02) 692-3549
Dept of Architectural Science     ACSnet: stephen@archsci.su.oz
Wilkinson Building G04            ARPA:    stephen%archsci.su.oz@uunet.uu.net
University of Sydney  2006        UUCP:    uunet!munnari!archsci.su.oz!stephen

jewett@hp-sdd.UUCP (10/09/87)

> of Apple LaserWriters.  One of these printers has developed a fault where
> every now and then a large amount of toner powder is dumped inside the
> printer (often a layer 1/16 " deep everywhere).

    Are you sure no one is removing the cartridge and shaking it?  Some
    people do that to even out the printing towards the end of the toner.
    There might be problems if they try it earlier or with the wrong motion.

jim@sq.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <8710271720.AA04699@brillig.umd.edu> hp-sdd!jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) writes:

>> every now and then a large amount of toner powder is dumped inside the
>
>    Are you sure no one is removing the cartridge and shaking it?  Some
>    people do that to even out the printing towards the end of the toner.
>    There might be problems if they try it earlier or with the wrong motion.

So what's the correct motion?
And when exactly is "earlier"?