[comp.laser-printers] TI Omni-Loser 2115

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU.UUCP (10/09/87)

Has anybody out there managed to get more than 8000 copies per OPC out of
this sucker (I know TI calls it an Omni-Laser, not an Omni-Loser, but given
that their advertised 20,000 copies per OPC seems really to be 8,000, I
think I'm justified in my appelation)?  If so, how?

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (10/29/87)

In article <8710271703.AA04123@brillig.umd.edu> carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
>Has anybody out there managed to get more than 8000 copies per OPC out of
>this sucker (I know TI calls it an Omni-Laser, not an Omni-Loser, but given
>that their advertised 20,000 copies per OPC seems really to be 8,000, I
>think I'm justified in my appelation)?  If so, how?

Read the specification again.  Thats 25,000 ROTATIONS.  Not 25,000 PAGES.
If you print long jobs then you can expect to get more pages out of an OPC
than if you print short one or two pager jobs.  I'm running the NCR 6436
here which is the same Ricoh 15 page per minute engine that the TI is running.
I'm getting typically 15,000 to 20,000 pages before the 'Change OPC' lite
comes on.  There is nothing that prevents you from printing past the 25K
page limit except for seeing some degraded print quality.   Most folks
won't notice.

Harry.Burford@Wichita.NCR.COM

gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) (11/04/87)

In article <8710271703.AA04123@brillig.umd.edu> carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
>Has anybody out there managed to get more than 8000 copies per OPC out of
>this sucker (I know TI calls it an Omni-Laser, not an Omni-Loser

We have had a few problems with our 2115 here.  Poor print quality after about
4K pages has been one of them.  It seems that TI has a problem with the
developer tray.  Supposedly this problem has been fixed and our printer was
field upgraded to the new developer tray.  However, after about another 4K
pages, it started fading out again.  I refrained from changing the OPC belt as
our unit only has only printed 11K pages.  We called TI out again, and again
they replace the developer tray, and the print quality returns.  I don't know
if the first developer upgrade was not the "NEW-IMPROVED" model, or we are
going to have to replace the developer tray every 4K+ pages or so.  If this is
the case, perhaps they should sell deveolper trays complete with toner instead
of toner cartridges.

We have another problem with our 2115, and I would be interested in hearing
from other 2115 users to see if they have seen this one as well.  When
printing multiple lines of the same linewidth, some are wider than others.
We have told TI, but they have offered no solution at this point.

Stephen Gerard  -  Total Support Computer Systems  -  Tampa  -  (813) 876-5990
UUCP: ...{codas, gatech}!usfvax2!tscs!gerard
US-MAIL: Post Office Box 15395 - Tampa, Florida  33684-5395

boyko%lamont.LDGO.Columbia.EDU%lamont@UUNET.UU.NET (christina boyko) (11/05/87)

In article <8710271703.AA04123@brillig.umd.edu>, carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
> Has anybody out there managed to get more than 8000 copies per OPC out of
> this sucker (I know TI calls it an Omni-Laser, not an Omni-Loser, but given
> that their advertised 20,000 copies per OPC seems really to be 8,000, I
> think I'm justified in my appelation)?  If so, how?

   Well we're lucky if we get 6-7000 copies per OPC belt.  When we questioned
 this, TI rushed to explain and even sent out a technical explanation about it.
 It seems what they *REALLY* meant to say was 20000 ROTATIONS of the belt,
 not 20000 copies.  And a single sheet of output may require up to 3 rotations
 depending on what it is...i.e. graphics use more rotations than text. So we
 end up with a considerably smaller number of copies than we were all lead to
 beleive. The service guy that came to do our last repair seemed surprised
 that we seem to get even less copies than they consider normal, but could
 offer no explanation or solution.

         ---Christina (can you die from eating toner powder?)  Boyko
 BIT/ARPA: boyko%lamont@columbia.edu  These may not be right, I don't quite
 UUCP: columbia.edu!lamont!boyko      have the hang of mail-paths, yet.  cb.

   P.S. I've been having difficulty posting to the net ( I don't think the
   are getting out of my system, so if anyone outside of Lamont reads this,
   please let me know.   -cb