[comp.laser-printers] OMNI 2115

hin@tnosel.UUCP (Hin Oey) (10/23/87)

For about a half year we have a Texas Instruments OMNI-2115 and
an Apple laserwriter. Both machines are 300 dpi and are used
with Postscript. However, the resolution of the omni-2115 is
worse than the apple laserwriter, as if the omni-2115 does not use
the full 300dpi, but about 100 dpi.

Does anybody on the newsnet has similar experience, and/or does
anybody waht could be doen about this?

Awaiting your reactions,

Hin Oey  -- IBBC-TNO  --  Netherlands  -- uucp: mcvax!tnosel!hin

garrett@UDEL.EDU (Joel Garrett) (11/13/87)

In article <8711121742.AA07834@brillig.umd.edu> hin@tnosel.UUCP (Hin Oey) writes:
>For about a half year we have a Texas Instruments OMNI-2115 and
>an Apple laserwriter. Both machines are 300 dpi and are used
>with Postscript. However, the resolution of the omni-2115 is
>worse than the apple laserwriter, as if the omni-2115 does not use
>the full 300dpi, but about 100 dpi.
>
>Hin Oey  -- IBBC-TNO  --  Netherlands  -- uucp: mcvax!tnosel!hin

The printer engine for the Omni-Laser uses the write-white technique, where
the printer starts out with the whole page being black and subtracting toner
to make the final printed page, while the Apple LW's engine uses write-black.
All the print engines I've seen with write-black seem to do better on printing
text and sparse graphics (mostly lines - thin ones at that) and the write-
white, which have better solid blacks (graphics with lots of filled areas)

					Joel Garrett
					University of Delaware
					arpa: garrett@udel.edu

mackay@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Pierre MacKay) (11/15/87)

Sounds to me like write-white problems.
The TI produces a very anaemic character with a write-black font.  It's not
that much better with a write-white font, but at least it's readable.

						Pierre A. MacKay
						TUG Site Coordinator for
						Unix-flavored TeX