[comp.laser-printers] Need info about the AST TurboLaser/PS

UKJWERK@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU ("Keith J. Werkman ", ATLSS Proj B1, X84605) (11/06/87)

In a recent Byte suppliment, Jade computer in CA is selling the
AST TurboLaser/PS for $3398.  This appears to be a good price for a Postscrtipt
laser with 35 resident fonts, etc (8ppm).  Has anyone had any luck with
this printer?  Does anyone have any info on it?

Keith Werkman, AI Lab, Packard Laboratory, Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA 18015
(kjw1@lehigh.bitnet)

jpp@slxsys.UUCP (John Pettitt) (11/17/87)

In article <8711121759.AA08475@brillig.umd.edu> UKJWERK@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU ("Keith J. Werkman ", ATLSS Proj B1, X84605) writes:
>In a recent Byte suppliment, Jade computer in CA is selling the
>AST TurboLaser/PS for $3398.  This appears to be a good price for a Postscrtipt
>laser with 35 resident fonts, etc (8ppm).  Has anyone had any luck with
>this printer?  Does anyone have any info on it?

We just (4 days ago) got one of these printers.  So far we are
very impressed.  It's a real PostScript printer for about 30%
less than most (in the UK at least).  It seems to work with
all the software we have tried (Ventura, PageMaker etc) and
with several 'hand written' postscript programs.

Overall: Good value for money,  documemtation is useless !

Disclaimer:  AST are one of our competitors in the I/O card
business !

--
John Pettitt G6KCQ, CIX jpettitt, Voice +44 1 398 9422
UUCP:  ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp  (jpp@slxsys.co.uk)

hammen@CSD4.MILW.WISC.EDU (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/18/87)

In article <8711121759.AA08475@brillig.umd.edu> UKJWERK@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU ("Keith J. Werkman ", ATLSS Proj B1, X84605) writes:
>In a recent Byte suppliment, Jade computer in CA is selling the
>AST TurboLaser/PS for $3398.  This appears to be a good price for a Postscript
>laser with 35 resident fonts, etc (8ppm).  Has anyone had any luck with
>this printer?  Does anyone have any info on it?

A local dealer got his first one in, and it was DOA. The next shipment he
received works most of the time. They are using a very complicated AppleTalk
net (many printers, a couple of bridges, and so on) and have found that they
can't simply plug the TurboLaser/PS in where a LaserWriter was sitting and
expect everything to work OK. The print quality is also not the greatest,
although it seems pretty fast.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104