[comp.laser-printers] A collection of requests for information

furuta@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU (Richard Furuta) (11/12/87)

For various reasons, the list has gotten kind of backed up in terms of
submissions.  I've collected together some of the outstanding "give me
information" kind of requests and am sending them out as a jumbo message
below.  It's not in the "official" digest format.  Sorry to anyone who is
bothered by this.

We have been having poor net connectivity in the past few weeks but I hope
this is resolving itself adequately now.

					--Rick

-------------------------

>From: Doug Snow <dsnow%watdcsu.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Date: 8 Oct 87 22:23:57 GMT
Subject: Making Changes to setsccbatch persistent on LW+

I need some help with a LaserWriterPlus. I'm running the following
program in order to allow an 8-bit data path ( ie. no parity, not ignore! )
However, this Just does not remain persistent. ( At least, the header page
does not indicate this -- ie. Graph bars should be white ). Can anyone
help. A similar program to set the machines name works fine [ replace the
line 25 9600 4 setsccbatch with ( some_name ) setprintername ]. If I do
this in interactive mode ( under executive ) and then do a 25 sccbatch,
and pop the stack twice ( ie ==, == )  I get what I want ( the 4 for parity ),
but if I power down and power up, its gone. Another laserWriter we have
runs at 19200bps so at least the baud rate can be changed! ( I didn't do
this though ). Help, I'm missing a step somewhere.

%!PS-Adobe-1.0

0 serverdict begin exitserver
statusdict begin
  25 9600 4 setsccbatch
end
Doug Snow, Arts Computing Office, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario.

           dsnow@watdcsu.waterloo.EDU   ...!watmath!watdcsu!dsnow
	   dougsnow@watdcs.NETNORTH
           doug@artspcs.watstar.waterloo.EDU

-------------------------

>From: ba@pbhya.UUCP (Behzad Alavi)
>Date: 12 Oct 87 22:51:03 GMT
Subject: Digital News; September 7, 1987

In an earlier article, someone had mentioned the
Digital News article about comparing Laser Printers.

I have not been able to find this magazine, let alone
the particular issue.

I will certainly appreciate if someone would give me
some leads as to where to locate a copy of this Dig. News.

Thanks,   ptsfa!pbhya!ba

-------------------------

>From: azeez@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (omar)
>Date: 15 Oct 87 03:49:21 GMT
Subject: psdit crashes on changed fonts

I have been trying to typset some troff files using ditroff with Helvetica.
We have psdit's transcript set up for an apple Laserwriter( 1985 version ).
I can typset these file without any problem using the default fonts R,I,B.
However, psdit crashes when I change these fonts to there respective
Helvetica fonts with these line at the begining of the files:
.fp 1 H
.fp 2 HO
.fp 3 HB

The error message is:

psdit: can't open map file /usr/lib/font/devpsc/HO.map

This last prob;em occurs for sizeable files >= 8 pages,
and did not occur for smaller files.

Any clues ??????

Azeez Al-Omar
			azeez@mvax.ee.cornell.edu
			     @tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

-------------------------

>From: amdcad!dgcad!rjjt@decwrl.dec.com (Richard James Tobias)
>Date: 16 Oct 87 16:05:21 GMT
Subject: BACKSPACING in graphic mode on EPSON FX-80 or compatibles.

Hello :

	I wish to backspace in graphic mode on epson fx-80. Any ideas would
be appreciated.

Marty

-------------------------

>From: ecsvax.uucp!kbrown@mcnc.org (J. Keith Brown)
>Date: 19 Oct 87 20:16:16 GMT
Subject: Microsoft Word, IBM, and DEC LN03

I recently purchased Microsoft Word, Version 3.1, to run on an IBM
PC.  In going through the documentation I see where it now supports
the DEC LN03, which I have in my office.  My question is has anyone
run the LN03 off of an IBM.  I have not had any success in doing this
and would like the advice of anyone who has.

                                          Keith Brown
                                          NC School of Science and Math
                                          Durham, NC
-------------------------

>Date: Mon, 19 Oct 87 17:40:37 PDT
>From: MikeDixon.pa@XEROX.COM
Subject: metafont parameters for xerox printers?

i'd like to generate CM fonts tuned for Xerox write-white print engines;
can anyone suggest appropriate values for blacker, fillin, and
o_correction?  thanks.
                                                            .mike.
-------------------------

>From: apollo@ecf.toronto.edu (Vince Pugliese)
>Date: 21 Oct 87 14:46:37 GMT
Subject: special papers for laser-printers

     I was wondering if anyone knew of a decal film that could be
put through a laser printer.  A friend of mine who happens to
be vacationing in India right now mentioned that he knew of a decal film
that could be put through a photocopier and I would presume a laser printer.
If anyone know of such a product please e-mail the info to me or post to either this
net or rec.railroad as there are a number of modelers who would like to try
this technique out.
                                        Vince Pugliese
                                        apollo@ecf.toronto.edu

-------------------------

>From: mcvax!oce.nl!teus@uunet.UU.NET (Teus Hagen)
>Date: 22 Oct 87 16:36:39 GMT
Subject: test PostScript

If you want to choose between the different PostScript printers one item
to be tested is the compatability with Adobe implementations, robustness,
performance (complexity of PostScript programs), etc.
Does anyone has a collection (besides the cookbook examples) available?
Does anyone collected the problems with some PS programs from the net?
What I want is names and a description of their tests.
Anyone?

Thanks,
teus hagen.
--
_______________________________
This note does not necessarily represent the position of Oce-Nederland b.v..

-------------------------

>From: murray@topaz.rutgers.edu (CCIS Newark)
>Date: 23 Oct 87 01:15:57 GMT
Subject: need advice on self-service laser postscript 15+ ppm

WeWe need a postscript laser that is at least 15+ ppm that can be left
in a user area. Since we are short on staff(i, isn't everyone, we need
aa machine which tends to be easy to u and has easy access  paper
paper tray. I hope our user population could get their own output
rather then have one of us run and constantoutput.

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with a XEROX 2700 with a QMS
postscript head. I know the 2700 is not an answer to the above
question but is part of a different problem.

-------------------------

>From: galaxy!marco@andromeda.rutgers.edu (the wharf rat)
>Date: 23 Oct 87 23:24:35 GMT
Subject: Xerox 3700 Printers && UNIX

	Due to the idiocy of the person who had my job previously,
I am attempting to drive Xerox printers (3700 && 40405) with 3B*'s.
He also stuck me with a post-processor called "dx2700", put out by
VLs inc.  Now, leaving aside the somewhat assinine choice of the Xerox 3700
as the printer for a 3B2, the filter, this dx2700 thing, doesn't handle
pic(1) very well at all (a polite understatement), and barfs on other
typical typesetting applications.  (by barf, I mean "memory fault" or
infinite loops).

	The questions I need help with are:

	A.  Can someone suggest a troff-to-Xerox filter that *works* ?
	Calls to the people who built this thing result in either
	"Yeah, it's a known bug, && we're working on it" or "Can't
	happen, you must be doing something wrong"  I want to throw it away.

	B.  We've leased this printer for 3 years :-(  I want to get something
	sensible, like an Imagen or some Postscript printer.  Anyone
	have any experience with terminating these kind of leases early, but
	gracefully? (If it was an apartment, I'd have loud parties and buy a
	big smelly dog that hated the landlord...)

                                                        wharf rat
						rutgers!andromeda!marco
						ihnp4!homxc!ldm
-------------------------

>Date: Mon, 26 Oct 87 16:03:53 -0500
>From: Fred Baube <fbaube@note.nsf.gov>
Subject: Help with Lotus + Canon LBP-8

We have Canon LBP-8's, models A1 and A2.  We can print text okay
>from Lotus by using the Diablo mode built into both, but we cannot
print Lotus graphics.  Can anyone help out with a Lotus driver ?
We are running Lotus version 2.  Thanx in advance.

-------------------------
That's all!

ane@hal.UUCP (Aydin "Bif" Edguer) (11/19/87)

Some recent surveys of laser printers

Digital Review		November 10, 1986	p 71-79
	List of DEC-compatible xerographic printers
Digital News		June 22, 1987		p 33-41
	List of laser and ion-deposition printers (faster than 12 ppm)
PC Week			July 21, 1987		p 63+
	List of laser printers
Digital News		September 7, 1987	p 49-61
	List of laser printers (12 ppm or less)

Contacting the magazines:
Digital News
	Subscriptions:
		Digital News
		P.O. Box 3
		Winchester, MA  01890-9960
		1 617 729 4200
	Reprints:
		Editor
		Digital News
		33 West St, Fifth floor
		Boston, MA  02111

Digital Review
	Subscriptions:
		Circulation Department
		Customer Service
		P.O. Box 5880
		Cherry Hill, NJ  08034
		1 609 528 5000
	Editorial:
		Prudential Tower, Suite 1390
		800 Boylston St.
		Boston, MA  02199
		1 617 375 4321

PC Week
	Subscriptions:
		Customer Service Department
		PC Week
		P.O. Box 5970
		Cherry Hill, NJ  08034
		1 609 528 5000
	Circulation Manager:
		Agnes Vanek	1 212 503 5408
	Editorial:
		800 Boylston St.
		Boston, MA  02199
		1 617 375 4000

Aydin Edguer					Case Western Reserve University
!{cbosgd, decvax, sun}!mandrill!hal!ane			   Cleveland, OH  44106