[comp.laser-printers] another collected batch of requests

furuta@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU (Richard Furuta) (11/12/87)

Well, I liked the idea of grouping together the small "please tell me"
messages so much, I thought I'd do it again!

					--Rick
-------------------------

>Date: Thu, 29 Oct 87 12:15 EDT
>From: "Ed Pierce (HDS-Sonic)" <PIERCE%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: TI 2115 opinions and Continuous Feed

Hello,

I have two queries, please reply to me directly as I am not on this list.

1) What's the concensus on replacing LaserWriter+'s with TI-2115's ???
   Will the same LaserPrep work?  Are the ROM fonts the same?  What caveats
   have users experienced?
2) Does anyone know of a continuous feed laser printer?  Ideally this would
   accept fanfold or roll plain-paper and print a continous "log".  Is this
   technically possible?  There's a market ready for the "laser-lover" that
   can make this with a cheap engine ($1500-4500).

Again, please reply to "pierce%hds@sdr.slb.com" directly.

Thanks,
Ed.                     "User-friendly depends on friendly users."

-------------------------

>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 87 08:50:52 cst
>From: rackow@anl-mcs.ARPA (Gene Rackow)
Subject: Re:  PostScript 47

I am not sure about the ROM rev level.  I just recv'd a new LW+ and
when doing a "version", I get "42.2".  Someone brought this up at a
recent apple fair and got the responce that something was screwy, but
they did not know what.  Does anyone have a new LW or LW+ that has
this version, or something other than 23 or 38.

Thanks in Advance

Gene Rackow
rackow@anl-mcs.arpa or   ihnp4!anlams!rackow

-------------------------

>Date: 29 Oct 87 04:56:57 GMT
>From: ka3adu!lester@RUTGERS.EDU (lester)
Subject: HP Laserjet II

Does anyone know if/how to get a HP Laserjet II to print in sub/super-script
modes ? Also is there anyone that is using filePro 16/16+ with the HP LAser jet
that could pass along their prtcodes for filePro.
Running filepro on Microport Sys V and dos.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Lester
 uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!lester

-------------------------

>Date: 30 Oct 87 18:07:00 GMT
>From: brian@hcx1.ssd.harris.com
Subject: Postscript-->RIPrint

(I'm posting this for a workmate -- brian)

We are desperately trying to locate a filter from Postscript to INTERLEAF's
RIPrint PDL.  Obviously some of the features (any orientations besides a
multiple of 90 deg) will not be possible, but anything is better than nothing
at this point!
		Thanks!

		Leo Hinds

-------------------------

From: jim@sq.UUCP
Date: 30 Oct 87 17:26:16 GMT
Subject: Re: LaserWriter spilling toner

In article <8710271720.AA04699@brillig.umd.edu> hp-sdd!jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) writes:

>> every now and then a large amount of toner powder is dumped inside the
>
>    Are you sure no one is removing the cartridge and shaking it?  Some
>    people do that to even out the printing towards the end of the toner.
>    There might be problems if they try it earlier or with the wrong motion.

So what's the correct motion?
And when exactly is "earlier"?

-------------------------

>Date: 30 Oct 87 01:55:50 GMT
>From: flax@suadb.UUCP (Jonas Flygare)
Subject: Imagen laser & IMPRESS

[Some people say it is needed, some say it is not..]

I would like all information I can get about IMPRESS, pointers to
books, etc. The reason is an Imagen laser at my school, which currently
is used only to produce text output, which I think is a waste.
I would also like info on known bugs, both in IMPRESS and the Imagen.
Things *not* to do, etc. Email preferred.
--
|"For example, on the DEC VAX, assume register T is completely random (but  |
|a little less random than on the PDP-10, as it has only 32 random bits)."  |

-------------------------

>Date: 1 Nov 87 00:13:54 GMT
>From: boulder!hartzell@BOULDER.COLORADO.EDU (George Hartzell)
Subject: Injured LaserWriter

I have an apple laser writer that is having a problem.  On power up it
whirs for a moment (not as long as a healthy printer next door), the green
light on the front blinks and then glows steady.  The little green light
marked test (by the serial conntectors) continues to blink.  I have connected
it to a terminal and found the following message coming through (always at
1200 baud, regardless of the setting of the little round 1200/9600/special/
appletalk switch):
*APPLE*001001*APPLE*

I can't help but think that this is a diagnostics code, is there anyone
out there that can make sense out of this, or point me towards the
proper manual?

g.

George Hartzell			                 (303) 492-4535
MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{hao,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

George Hartzell			                 (303) 492-4535
MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{hao,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

-------------------------

>Date: 5 Nov 87 15:21:05 GMT
>From: joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch)
Subject: Need Imagen driver for MS/DOS or MS Windows

We just got a Imagen Imageserver XP for our Unix system. This is fine
for our troff stuff, since Imagen supplies a troff to imPRESS translator,
but I would like to be able to format documents and do graphics on our
PCs and upload them to the Unix system to print. Although there are
plenty of Laserjet and Postscript drivers available for MS/DOS, I haven't
seen anything that generates imPRESS output. I would especially be interested
in information on a imPRESS driver for MS Windows.

Failing that a Laserjet or Postscript to imPRESS or troff translator would
be useful.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center

-------------------------

>Date: 3 Nov 87 21:31:51 GMT
>From: mikew@wyse1.wyse.com (Mike Wexler)
Subject: hpgl-postscript filter

I am looking for a filter that converts hpgl to postscript.
I would like to run it on a Sun 3/260, but anything that is
available would be helpful.

Susan Hardenbrook
ARPANET: brook@wyse.com
USENET: wyse!brook
ATT: 408-433-5661

-------------------------

>Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 14:47 EST
>From: "Keith J. Werkman (ATLSS Proj B1, X84605)" <UKJWERK@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU>
Subject: QMS Printcap Needed

Our CAE lab just obtained their QMS 800+ Postscript laser printer.
We would like to attach it to a Sun 3/160C.  Do we need a special
/etc/printcap entry to print postscript files?

Thanks in advance....
Keith Werkman, CSEE Dept., Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA 18015
(kjw1@lehigh.bitnet)

-------------------------

>Date: 5 Nov 87 17:53:34 GMT
>From: ief@geocub.UUCP (Didier Demigny )
Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
Subject: LW and non ascii characters

	I try to use a laserwriter to output a text with non ascii characters
(letters with accents, etc...), and i have not founded in the documentation
what is the corresponding code. Could anybody post me the character code
of the lw, and the way i can output non ascii chars?
	Thanks in advance,

			A. Merigot
			Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale
			Universite Paris Sud
			91405 Orsay Cedex
			France

			...uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!ief
			...uunet!mcvac!inria!litp!iefups!am
				(this access is temporary down)

-------------------------

>Date: 9 Nov 87 20:08:56 GMT
>From: xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler)
Subject: A problem with Transcript

I'm running Transcript on BSD to an Apple Laserwriter, and I was
wondering if anyone else had had the same problem that I am having.
When a few jobs get queued, jobs occasionally vanish into thin air.
It seems to have printed, but it never did. Also, sometimes jobs don't
finish. They'll print the first couple of pages, and then stop. Has
anyone had this happen to them, or heard of it happening?

				Xev Gittler
				---
				xev@hstbme.mit.edu
				xev@athena.mit.edu

-------------------------

>Date: Mon, 9 Nov 87 16:48:25 EST
>From: nigam%mwvms@mitre.arpa
Subject: Printer sharing devices

--------
Question:
Is anyone using a printer switch/buffer to share a postscript
laser printer between a Macintosh and an IBM PC.  I am looking for
a device with 2 input ports, Appletalk and RS232; and 1 output port,
RS232 or Appletalk or RS422.  It would automatically switch to whichever
device is active, and would buffer output from the other computer.

Background:
We have several PC's networked using an IBM LAN.  The print server,
an AT is connected to a TI 2115 Laser printer.  We are able to
run the TI in Postscript mode.  The TI also has HPLJ+ emulation.
It has Parallel, RS422 and AppleTalk ports, but 1 must be selected
>from the front panel.
We also have a couple of Macintoshes, connected to the TI using
appletalk (actually phonenet wiring).  The TI must be manually
switched from one to the other, and files on the other
network cannot be printed until the TI is switched back.  I am
trying to make this process transparent.

Please reply to me and I'll summarize.  Thanks.

Alok C. Nigam
Phone:   (703) 883-6751
ARPA:    nigam@mitre.arpa

-------------------------

>Date: 9 Nov 87 23:26:53 GMT
>From: hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP (Herb Poppe)
Subject: Postscript to Xerox 4050 laser printer

Does anyone know of software that would allow a postscript file to be
printed on a Xerox 4050 laser printer.

Thanks.
--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET

-------------------------

>Date: 9 Nov 87 14:02:29 GMT
>From: bellcore!ulysses!whuts!jasj@RUTGERS.EDU (SNOW)
Subject: TWO DaisyLaser Printer Questions

Question 1: Who makes it (DaisyLaser Printer)?
            She got it for free from a relative.

Question 2: What 'printer setup' on the WordStar list
            is most similar?

These questions are for a friend, so please just email me
your responses.

Thanks a lot,

Al Snow; ihnp4!whuts!jasj; (201)386-6043

End of the batch!

mkm@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Mark Murray) (11/26/87)

On the finding of toner powder inside the LW, we have seen that twice
due to improperly recharged toner cartridges.  Make sure your recharge
vendor guarantees his product.  Also, the best way to 'shake' a
cartridge is not to shake it at all, but roll it back and forth on its
horizontal axis just like they show you on the paper that comes with a
new cartridge.  You know it's time to do this when output starts
getting faded vertically at the center of the page.