[comp.laser-printers] collected requests for information

furuta@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU (Richard Furuta) (12/23/87)

Here 'tis---another collected set of "requests for information"!

					--Rick

From: cmcl2!phri!dasys1!jzitt@RUTGERS.EDU (Joe Zitt)
Date: 12 Nov 87 15:24:30 GMT
Subject: Quadram Quadloser

We've been using the Quadram Quadlaser here, at the core of our shaky
desktop system.  We've had lots of problems -- their tech support is
shaky at best, and other people don;t support it much.

Has anyone else been saddled with this?  Does anyone have any insights?
I might be able to help others, since I've had to create drivers, etc.
for it.
--
Joe Zitt                         {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!jzitt

From: xev@hstbme.mit.edu (Xev Gittler)
Subject: Trouble with Transcript/BSD4.3 spooler/Apple LaserWriter
Date: 12 Nov 87 19:59:02 GMT

I'm having a bit of trouble, and I was wondering if anyone had seen
this before.

	I'm running Transcript 2.0 under BSD4.3 with an Apple
laserwriter. When I send files to be printed, and there is more then
one in the queue, the files disappear into thin air. The spooler seems
to think that they were printed, but they were not. Sometimes the
printing even stops in the middle of a job. I'm not sure if this is a
problem with the laser(I don't think so, it happens on two seperate
lasers), BSD4.3( I doubt it) or Transcript. Has anyone seen this, or,
better yet, knows of a way to fix it?

Xev

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 18:00:56 PST
From: lind@perron.ms.washington.edu (Doug Lind)
Subject: AST 800 PS II

    We are considering buying the AST 800 PS II (which got a good review
in the October issue of Personal Publishing) for the Math Department.
It would be hooked up to a Unix system (VAX or 3b2), and used mostly
for TeXnical papers. It sounds good, but so did the TI OmniLaser.
Has anyone out there had experience (pro or con) with this printer?
    Since I just joined the list, you should probably reply to me
direct: lind@perron.ms.washington.edu.

From: era@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU (Ed Arnold)
Date: 17 Nov 87 17:17:43 GMT
Subject: needed: ditroff -> Xerox 4050 filter
Date: 17 Nov 87 17:17:42 GMT

I am interested in making contact with anyone who is running
a Xerox 4050, 9700, or 4050-compatible laser printing system,
attached either to a unix or mvs system.

We have heard that there is a filter named "dx9700" which translates
ditroff output to the form acceptable to the 4050 (I believe the 9700
is like the 4050, only smaller).  However, we have been unable to
find anyone who knows where we can get the filter.

If you can help, please e-mail me directly ... I don't usually
read the groups in which this is posted.

Thanks in advance ...
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research)
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253

From: silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber)
Subject: Printer for Labels
Date: 18 Nov 87 13:40:20 GMT

We routinely print 2000 or so mailing labels.  Our EPSON FX-286 complains
about the task as did a Diablo 630 and a NEC 3550.  What would people recommend
for a reasonably priced printer that handles mailing labels really well?  We
have several LaserJets, but the HP catelog does not recommend using labels
through the automatic feeder.  The labels are coming off of a PC-AT so anything
with a RS-232 serial or a centronics interface would be fine.

--
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
                                                          --Sen. Everett Dirksen

From: ka3adu!lester@uunet.UU.NET (lester)
Subject: laser printer and graphics
Date: 16 Nov 87 05:39:10 GMT

Does anyone know of a way to get printmaster or printshop to work with a
HP Laser jet II ? Or is there an other package or newer version that supports
the laser printer. I need it to do greeting cards etc, so newsroompro and
desktop publishing stuff won't do what I need it to do.

Thanks in advance.....

--
Bob Lester KA3ADU                |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!lester
6330 Somerset St.                |           Packet: KA3ADU @ AK3P

Subject: LW output basket
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 87 11:13:36 -0800
From: Phil Karlton <karlton@decwrl.dec.com>

I have heard rumors of a basket that could be attched to a LaserWriter in
place of the plastic tray the output normally sits on. It, supposedly, has a
decent capacity and the attractive feature of stacking the pages in the same
order they come out of the printer.

Does anybody know if this rumor is true, and can I get a pointer to a supplier
or the manufacturer?

PK

From: newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery)
Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Need info about the AST TurboLaser/PS
Date: 25 Nov 87 23:14:08 GMT

We are currently evaluating the AST TurboLaser/PS, among other printers.
In summary, it has a Ricoh engine (LP4081?, anyone know for sure?), write
white.
Pro. PostScript 47.0, 3MB RAM, all 35 LW font families, AppleTalk, Serial AND
	Centronics, lovely blacks and greys. PRICE!
Con. Slightly fuzzy small characters, no straight thru paper path, noisier than
	LW, horrible front panel.

Hope this helps some
--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: newbery@vuwcomp
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)

From: Dave Richardson <ukma!ukecc!dsrich@RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Need troff driver.....
Date: 26 Nov 87 02:13:10 GMT

HELP!

(Posted for third party - Please respond to the address below by E-mail.  I
don't normallly read this group.)

I am stuck with a *large* boat-anchor in my tiny office that goes by the name
IBM 3812 Laser-printer.  It is connected to a (hold snickers, please) IBM
PC-RT running AIX, but I have no troff driver for it.  Can anybody help me?

						(Posted for)
						Dr. Bruce Walcott
-----
Dave Richardson
UUCP: !{rutgers, rayssd, uunet, cbosgd}!ukma!ukecc!dsrich
ARPANET: dsrich@engr.uky.edu        BITNET: dsrich%ukecc.uucp@ukma
CSNET: dsrich@engr.uky.csnet

From: st138ak%sdcc12@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (st138ak)
Newsgroups: comp.text,comp.laser-printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: HELP NEEDED -- WordPerfect and Apple LaserWriter
Date: 30 Nov 87 17:54:51 GMT

Has anyone out there figured out how to get output on an Apple
LaserWriter using WordPerfect?  We are using WordPerfect version 4.2
on an Apple LaserWriter Plus, with an IBM PS/2 Model 60 connected
to the serial port of the LW.  I called WordPerfect Corp.'s toll
free number for help, and the consultant there told me what I had
already found out, namely, that WordPerfect uses a different
handshake than most software.  However, the initialization file
(INITLWRT.PS) which gets sent to the printer to establish the
handshaking protocol seem capricious at best.  The WP consultant
actually told me that one user was able to get LaserWriter output
if he turned the printer off for 5 minutes and then restarted it.
Somehow, this whimsical temperament strikes me as ridiculous.  Good
software shouldn't act this way!  WordPerfect is mailing me a "form
letter" which details the initialization steps necessary to get output
on a LaserWriter.  Obviously, if they have a form letter they're sending
to users with this problem, WordPerfect is aware of this problem and
hasn't yet solved it.

If anyone has worked out this problem, please e-mail me as soon as
possible.  BTW, switching from WordPerfect to another program which
has a good PostScript driver, e.g. Microsoft Word, is not a viable
alternative.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Diane C. Lin
Academic Personnel Office
University of California, San Diego

Internet:  st138ak%sdcc12@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU
UUCP:      !sdcsvax!sdcc12!st138ak

From: prlb2!kulcs!kdv@uunet.UU.NET (Karel De Vlaminck)
Subject: Laserprinter for troff on NCR Tower
Date: 2 Dec 87 17:40:34 GMT

1) We want to connect a laserprinter for use with troff
on a NCR Tower System. Has anyone experience with this?

2) We will have access to a KYOCERA F-1000 or F-1200 laser printer.
Does anyone know about the existence of a filter for the
troff output to the laserprinter (which uses 'Prescribe').

3) This laserprinter also has an HP Laserjet Plus emulation.
Another solution would then be to use a troff output filter
for the HP Laserjet.  So I will ask the same question
about the existence for this filter.

Please mail responses directly to me. If there are usefull

Karel De Vlaminck

                                | K. U. Leuven
  kdv@kulcs.uucp                | Department of Computer Science
  or ...!mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!kdv  | Celestijnenlaan 200 A
  Phone:  +(32) 16-200656 x3565 | B-3030 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium

From: llt@peregrine.peregrine.com (Linda)
Subject: Interleaf-Laserprinter query
Date: 3 Dec 87 17:36:11 GMT

Does anybody have any information about dual purpose laser printers, i.e.,
those that actually double as copiers, which are used in an environment that
includes the Interleaf software?

From: sdsu!ttidca.TTI.COM!josephs@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Bill Josephs)
Subject: Soft Fonts for laserjets and laserjet +
Date: 7 Dec 87 22:27:01 GMT

I'm interested in various peoples experiences with using soft
fonts for the Laserjet or compatibles...  I'll compile and
summarize any responses I get.

Thanks

Bill Josephs/Citicorp TTI

From: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu (Chris Ott)
Subject: Need DVI-to-PCL (Canon or HP) filter
Date: 7 Dec 87 23:46:56 GMT
              University of Arizona

     I would like to buy a Canon LBP-8 II laser printer for my system for
graphics and TeX output. When I called the sales people to ask what
language the Canon uses, they told me it was compatible with the HP
Laserjet, which uses PCL. Unfortunately, the TeX software we got doesn't
have a DVI-to-PCL filter. If anyone out there has one, or knows where I
can get one, please mail me and let me know.

-----

 Chris Ott
 Computer-Aided Engr. Lab                    Angels we have heard on High
 University of Arizona                        Tell us to go out and Buy.

 Internet: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu
 UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!spock!chris

From: mtune!homxc!jdn@RUTGERS.EDU (J.NAGY)
Subject: DESKTOP PUBLISHING
Date: 9 Dec 87 15:59:34 GMT

Some time ago, Atari announced a laser printer, but I haven't
seen any talk about the printer or software for Desktop Publishing
in the ST newsgroup recently.

	1. Does a laser printer exist? Can I easily buy one?
	2. Does Desktop Publishing software for the ST exist?

How do these products (if they exist) compare with Desktop Publishing
on the Amiga and Mac?  Any input on the various laser printers available,
your personal experiences with the printers and software, caveats,
recommendations, etc. is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan Nagy
{ihnp4|allegra|mtune}!homxc!jdn
(201) 615-4349

From: cmcl2!phri!dasys1!jzitt@RUTGERS.EDU (Joe Zitt)
Date: 9 Dec 87 19:55:01 GMT
Subject: HP Laserjet Codes
Date: 9 Dec 87 19:55:00 GMT

Is there a downloadable list of HP LaserJet control codes available?

We're using a Quadram Quadloser with its supposed HP emulation, but it
came with practically no docs at all.  We're very much hosed without it,
as the new eproms do not act identically to the old ones for some
reason ... and I'm already doing things with the machine that Quadram says
are impossible.

I can be reached at the mail address below or by voice at WorldWide Data,
(212)493-7080.

Help!

From: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu (Chris Ott)
Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
Subject: DVI to PCL (TeX to HP or Canon) converter wanted
Date: 15 Dec 87 05:26:12 GMT
              University of Arizona

     C'mon, SOMEONE out there has GOT to have a filter that converts TeX DVI
output to PCL, the language used by HP laserjets and Canon LBP-8 II's. Isn't
there ANYONE out there who is using an HP or Canon laser printer with TeX?
Please, HELP!!

-----

 Chris Ott
 Computer-Aided Engr. Lab             Excellent day for drinking heavily.
 University of Arizona                Spike the office water cooler.

From: unido!sbsvax!lipps@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Lipps)
Subject: sending text files to postscript printer
Date: 16 Dec 87 12:57:17 GMT

               ===  W A N T E D  ===

We have an IBM-AT-Clone running MS-DOS 3.2x and QMS 800+ laser printer (Apple
Laser Writer Plus compatible) running PostScript. The printer is connected
via serial communication port (COM1:).
By now we print text files using the print option of MS-Windows 1.x (which adds
a special PostScript-Header). This is somewhat cumbersome since we normally
don't use Windows ...
All (?!) we want is a program (binary or source (MS-C, Turbo-Pascal, ...)) that
	-  will be started from the DOS-Shell
	-  takes ASCII text files (program sources) and adds a special
	   PS-header (... and what else may be necessary)
	-  knows XON-XOFF protocol

Thanks

-----

UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!lipps    |  Peter Lipps                         |
       or lipps@sbsvax.UUCP            |  Universitaet des Saarlandes         |
CSNET: lipps%sbsvax.uucp@Germany.CSnet |  FB 10 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)    |
ARPA:  lipps%sbsvax.uucp@uunet.UU.NET  |  Bau 36, Im Stadtwald 15             |
Phone: +49 681 302 2964                |  D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany|

==========End of collected requests