[comp.laser-printers] Cartridge variation in Canon printers?

Tom.Lane@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU (04/01/88)

I just replaced the toner cartridge for the first time in my HP LaserJet
(a Canon CX engine).  With the new cartridge, printing is much lighter than
before, even with the print density dial turned all the way up.  The black
areas seem to be about the same shade, but they are smaller!  Character
strokes are thinner... the problem is particularly obvious with Computer
Modern fonts, for some reason.

Anybody seen this before?  Can I do anything about it short of replacing
the new cartridge?  What are the odds that that will help?

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu

P364@QZCOM.BITNET ("Bo Thide Swedish Institute of Space Physics") (04/07/88)

This is quite common.  We have had our LJ+ for a few years and
replaced maybe 15 ccartridges.  You always get thinner (and in
my opinion better-looking) lines the first 100 pages or so.

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (04/08/88)

In article <8804051954.AA16233@brillig.umd.edu>, Tom.Lane@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> I just replaced the toner cartridge for the first time in my HP LaserJet
> (a Canon CX engine).  With the new cartridge, printing is much lighter than
> before, even with the print density dial turned all the way up.  The black
> areas seem to be about the same shade, but they are smaller!  Character
> strokes are thinner... the problem is particularly obvious with Computer
> Modern fonts, for some reason.
>
> Anybody seen this before?  Can I do anything about it short of replacing
> the new cartridge?  What are the odds that that will help?

Yes - we have an imagen with the cannon engine and noticed this some time
ago.  When we change cartridges, the lines get finer etc.  Over a period of
time (as the cartridge ages), the lines seem to get wider (I think that what
you are seeing is normal print quality and it "degrades" to wider at the
end of the cartridge life).  See if you can find something which was
printed back when the machine was new and see if the lines are not finer
than what they were just before you replaced the cartridge.

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")
==============================================   Mike Fields

fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) (04/16/88)

In article <8804151840.AA28062@brillig.umd.edu> P364@QZCOM.BITNET ("Bo Thide Swedish Institute of Space Physics") writes:
>This is quite common.  We have had our LJ+ for a few years and
>replaced maybe 15 ccartridges.  You always get thinner (and in
>my opinion better-looking) lines the first 100 pages or so.
This is odd, because the LJ+ I work with in one place I consult at doesn't
produce good type until after about 20 or 30 copies with a new cartridge.
The type is passible, but not the highest quality that one can get
out of the LJ+. Is this just our machine, or does it vary that
much?
Glenn I. Fleishman, graphic designer & Mac apologist
FLEGLEI@YALEVM.BITNET or to above address
"What? Why did you say that? What do you know about my IMAGE DUPLICATOR?"

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/05/88)

In article <8804251524.AA03653@brillig.umd.edu> fleishman-glenn@cs.yale.edu (Glenn Fleishman) writes:

>This is odd, because the LJ+ I work with in one place I consult at doesn't
>produce good type until after about 20 or 30 copies with a new cartridge.
>The type is passible, but not the highest quality that one can get
>out of the LJ+. Is this just our machine, or does it vary that
>much?

      It all depends upon following the installation instructions carefully
to ensure that the toner is spread throughout the cartridge!  I know it looks
funny to stand there and turn the cartridge back and forth several times, but
it gets the job done!

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207