[comp.laser-printers] PostScript & HP emulation

wieland@pur-ee.UUCP (Jeffrey J Wieland) (05/13/88)

We are looking for a laser printer that does both PostScript and LaserJet Plus
emulation.  We have been looking at the NEC Silentwriter LC890.  Does anyone
have experience with this printer?  Any suggestions for other laser printers?

			Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/02/88)

In article <8805311552.AA12506@brillig.umd.edu>, wieland@pur-ee.UUCP (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:

> We are looking for a laser printer that does both PostScript and LaserJet Plus
> emulation.  We have been looking at the NEC Silentwriter LC890.  Does anyone
> have experience with this printer?  Any suggestions for other laser printers?
>
> 			Jeff Wieland
> 			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

Apple LaserWriter IIntx is a PostScript printer with HP LaserJet Plus
emulation.  However, in looking over the manual, I am a little skeptical
of how useful the LJ+ emulation will be, since they use the native PostScript
fonts, not the LJ+ fonts, which will give serious problems for character
spacing.  Further, their LJ+ emulation claims to give the font requested,
not the font an LJ+ will give.

For those of you confused by that last statement: the LJ+ printers give
the nearest matching font to the one requested.  On an LJ+ printer, you
request a font by the characteristics of the font you are requesting
(i.e. Roman, 10 pt. landscape, bold, proportional, 8-bit ASCII), and
the LJ+ locates the font that it has available which is the nearest
match.  "Nearest match", of course, may mean something like 12 pt. semi-bold
7-bit ASCII, Helv, if there's nothing closer.  This is a real kludge of
the LJ+ command set -- but it means the LaserWriter IIntx emulation of
the LJ+ is frequently going to be far, far from what a real LJ+ will
produce.

Clayton E. Cramer
"PostScript -- or nothing."

kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) (06/02/88)

In article <8805311552.AA12506@brillig.umd.edu> wieland@pur-ee.UUCP (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:

>We are looking for a laser printer that does both PostScript and LaserJet Plus
>emulation.  We have been looking at the NEC Silentwriter LC890.  Does anyone
>have experience with this printer?  Any suggestions for other laser printers?

I don't know anything about the NEC printer, but I do know that the Apple
LaserWrite NTX does both postscript and LaserJet Plus emulation.  It seems
like a dandy printer for the price, but you have to need the power it provides
to justify it's price tag (~ $6500 retail).

Ken Wallich
...hplabs!ardent!kmw

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (07/05/88)

>In article <8805311552.AA12506@brillig.umd.edu>
>       wieland@pur-ee.UUCP (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:
>
>We are looking for a laser printer that does both PostScript and LaserJet Plus
>emulation.  We have been looking at the NEC Silentwriter LC890.  Does anyone
>have experience with this printer?  Any suggestions for other laser printers?

I've had a LC-890 since late February, and I am very happy with it.  It
is well-built, and should last longer than printers based on the Cannon
engine, as NEC claims a life of 600,000 pages.  (The 890 uses a NEC
LCD-array engine).  The postscript works fine with Microsoft Word, Final
Word II and Ventura Publisher, and the HP Laserjet + emulation works
well too.  As a test, I printed one of the Ventura demo documents with
the software configured for a laserjet printer.  The document came out
without a hitch on the NEC in HP emulation mode.

The service is good, too.  The warranty includes 90-days of on-site
repair.  Unfortunately, I needed same, as the main logic board went
south and it wouldn't print at all.  Fortunately, the service fellow
was out the next day to fix it.

Suppiles seem slightly cheaper than the Cannon-types, with a $24 toner
cartridge lasting 3,000 pages, and a $100 drum needing replacement at
7,000 pages.  My one complaint is that large black areas aren't very
black compared to my HP Laserjet Series II.  But if someone tried to
take take this printer away from me, he'd have to fight!
--
Paul Homchick                     {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.; One Radnor Station, Suite 300; Radnor, PA 19087