[comp.laser-printers] HP Laserjet II ram boards

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH) (06/18/88)

  Does anyone have any technical knowledge (or just opinions even) or
experience to recommend or criticize Ram expansion boards for the
HP Laserjet II from NON--Hewlett Packard origins. In particular, the
other day I saw one (Jetware, or something like that, I think) that
claimed compatibility and was upgradeable sequentially by adding
ram expansion modules to the basic plug-in board (1 Meg). Is it true
that to upgrade with HP boards you must replace the whole board with
a new one,  i.e. no chip adding/swapping or similar scheme ??

  Jeff Sicherman
  JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

ba@pbhyg.PacBell.COM (Behzad Alavi) (06/30/88)

In article <8806281410.AA12571@brillig.umd.edu> JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH) writes:

>  Does anyone have any technical knowledge (or just opinions even) or
>experience to recommend or criticize Ram expansion boards for the
>HP Laserjet II from NON--Hewlett Packard origins. In particular, the
>other day I saw one (Jetware, or something like that, I think) that
>claimed compatibility and was upgradeable sequentially by adding
>ram expansion modules to the basic plug-in board (1 Meg). Is it true
>that to upgrade with HP boards you must replace the whole board with
>a new one,  i.e. no chip adding/swapping or similar scheme ??

           HP                 JETWARE               PACIFIC DATA PRODUCTS
                           (JET MEMORY)                (1-2-4 memory board)
      ________________   ____________________      ____________________________
       $500  1 Meg          $300  1 Meg                 $450  1meg (256k chips)

       $1000 2 Meg          + $300 2 Meg                $945 2 Meg (1meg chips)
     (discard old board)  (add to old board)          (discard old chips,
                                                        add new chips to board

       $2000 4 Meg           Not Available              $1800  4Meg (1meg chips)
                                                             add another 2 Meg

The above chart should summarize it pretty much.  You may want
to note that in terms of "bang-for-the-buck", Jet Memory may
be best.  The reason being that in general you can do all the
graphic applications with 2 Meg.  In general, you'd need
4 Meg of memory, if you're downloading HUGE softfonts that
take up a lot of memory.  Asides from that 2 Meg is plenty
good for all 300 x 300 graphics.

Pac. Data Prod. manufactures the single board that can have
any amount of memory on it (yo uset dip switches).  In all
cases you keep the same board.  If you start with 1 Meg, and
decide to upgrade to 2 Meg, then you discard the 256K Chips
and keep the board.  Upgrade from 2 to 4 Meg is done by only
adding the chips, and resetting DIP switches.

With HP Memory Boards, as you indicated, any upgrade  would
mean throwing away what you previously had! The board and the
whole shebang :-(

Prices that I have listed are not accurate, they are only
for -- MY OWN -- comparison.

Check with the manufacturere, or your dealer for exact prices.

pacbell!pbhyg!ba    Behzad Alavi,  (415) 550-2528

jeg@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (John Girard) (07/04/88)

I personally purchased a Piiceon 1MB board for my personal
LJ2 and it has been fine.  It was only $320 last December.
I got it from Crescent Com Inc. in San Jose (Ryder Ave).

Since then I have seen ads for empty boards that can be
incrementally populated.  That sounds like the best way
to go.  I don't know anyone who has bought one of them.

John Girard

bdale@hpcsd02.HP.COM (Bdale Garbee) (07/06/88)

>Is it true
>that to upgrade with HP boards you must replace the whole board with
>a new one,  i.e. no chip adding/swapping or similar scheme ??

Yes.  The boards use surface-mounted RAM.  Higher reliability than sockets,
lower production costs, etc.  When I bought my series II, I didn't worry about
it since there's most likely always going to be someone who'll give you fair
return for a 1Meg board when you go 4Meg...

Bdale, N3EUA

disclaimer:  I work for HP, but not the printer folks.  I bought a laser II
for personal use at home, and base my opinion solely on my experience as
a customer...