[comp.laser-printers] How did they make the printer so expensive?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/28/88)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> the difference between 300 dpi and 400 dpi is the difference between
> something that is good enough to offset print without embarrassment, and
> that which is not (at least for small press runs).

	Around here, we print the masters for our annual report on a
LaserWriter (i.e. at 300 dpi) and send it straight to the shop for printing
on textured paper.  I once got some samples of 2540 and 1270 to show to our
publicity folks and they decided they like 300 dpi better (less harsh).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute