[comp.laser-printers] Laser fonts

tony@tasis.utas.OZ.AU (Tony Adams) (06/06/88)

I am interested in an oldfashioned style of font such as Bembo or
Nicholas Jansen.  I would be obliged if anyone could let me know
where I might be able to get one from.  I would prefer a font for
the Macintosh LaserWriter but I also have access to an HP Laser
printer driven by a PC.

Thanks in advance,
Tony Adams

Snail: Uni of Tasmania, Box 252C GPO, Hobart 7001, Tasmania, Australia.
ACSnet: tony@tasis.utas.oz	ARPA: tony%tasis.utas.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP: {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!tony

X230GV@TAMVM1.BITNET (Glenn Vanderburg) (06/24/88)

>I am interested in an oldfashioned style of font such as Bembo or
>Nicholas Jansen.

Well, I can't help you with Bembo, but the latest edition of the Adobe
Type Library Catalog mentions that a whole set of Janson fonts will be
included in the next set of fonts released by Adobe.  They work with the
LaserWriter, and they come in Mac or PC format.

If you don't have the aforementioned catalog, you will almost certainly
want to get one.  It is a fantastic showpiece of digital typography.  Much
more than just a type catalog, it has lots of useful information on
other aspects of typography.  Just call Adobe at (415)852-0271 and ask
them to send you one.  And while you're at it, ask them to send me one.
I had to look at a friend's copy.

Regards,
Glenn Vanderburg

P.S.  I have absolutely no connection with Adobe Systems.  I am merely an
      admirer who is nevertheless irritated because they keep dropping me
      from their mailing list.  I didn't know it was even possible to get
      dropped from *any* mailing list, but it happens with them.  Maybe if
      I start calling them asking to be dropped, they will keep me on
      forever.  It seems to work with everyone else.

mackay@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Pierre MacKay) (11/07/88)

I had hoped that this stupid error of mine would already have
been buried, but as it is not, I confess it as a stupid error.

There may even be an argument for a ditroff-->dvi converter,
but there would still be a double level of round-off errors,
because ditroff does apparently use a more limited field for
spacing values than dvi (note, please, I say apparently)

Please do not think that this was "negative campaigning"
in favor of TeX.  It wasn't.  There are several functions
for which troff is the better option--notably any document which
must be optimized for the full range of target printers.
TeX does not do this.  It optimizes for a printer in never-never
land, and the results on a line-printer are not good at all.
The troff/nroff pair does things like Unix man pages (which
are not always simple formatting) better than TeX ever could,
because a TeX file cannot be made to format itself on an
ANSI X3.64 terminal or on a simple printer.

Apologies to all, and especially to Brian Kernighan.

Nuff said??

Pierre MacKay