From: BCHS1B@jane.uh.edu
Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
Subject: Re: DVI and HP laserjet
Date: 5 Oct 89 23:28:10 CDT

In article <326@opus.NMSU.EDU>, scooper@NMSU.EDU (Shaun Cooper) writes:
> Does anybody know of any DVI -> HP Laserjet or, postscript -> HP LaserJet
> converters.  I heard that GoScript can do Postscript to HP LaserJet, is
> this true?  If so where can I fing GoScript.
>
> Thanks
> (sorry if you see this twice, we weren't sending news out correctly)
> Shaun Cooper
> scooper@nmsu.edu
> scooper@nmsu.bitnet
> Voice (505) 646-6030

GoScript has been advertised in most the PC magazines over the past
few months. I don't know if it is available from computer stores or if
you need to directly contact the company. However it does need extra memory
than is standard with the HP Laserjet, I think it needs either 1 or 1.5 MB.

There was a review this past month in either PC Magazine or possibly in
PC Week which covered GoScript and a few competitors which are also available.
They are all supposed to work pretty well, but they are very slow. You
might also consider that a font cartridge is now available for the Laserjet
II which is a postscript driver. I think it is from Pacific Data Cartridges.
and costs about $600-700.

Have not tried either of the above myself. Just bought a real postscript
printer instead. It does work fine.

BCHS1B@jane.uh.edu (10/06/89)

In article <326@opus.NMSU.EDU>, scooper@NMSU.EDU (Shaun Cooper) writes:
> Does anybody know of any DVI -> HP Laserjet or, postscript -> HP LaserJet
> converters.  I heard that GoScript can do Postscript to HP LaserJet, is
> this true?  If so where can I fing GoScript.
>
> Thanks
> (sorry if you see this twice, we weren't sending news out correctly)
> Shaun Cooper
> scooper@nmsu.edu
> scooper@nmsu.bitnet
> Voice (505) 646-6030

GoScript has been advertised in most the PC magazines over the past
few months. I don't know if it is available from computer stores or if
you need to directly contact the company. However it does need extra memory
than is standard with the HP Laserjet, I think it needs either 1 or 1.5 MB.

There was a review this past month in either PC Magazine or possibly in
PC Week which covered GoScript and a few competitors which are also available.
They are all supposed to work pretty well, but they are very slow. You
might also consider that a font cartridge is now available for the Laserjet
II which is a postscript driver. I think it is from Pacific Data Cartridges.
and costs about $600-700.

Have not tried either of the above myself. Just bought a real postscript
printer instead. It does work fine.

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (10/09/89)

GoScript is available through Egghead Discount Software for about $295.

Data Pacific has just released their Postscript cartridge for the LJII. It
requires at least 2Mb addition RAM in the printer. GoScript requires only
an additional 1Mb.

Data Pacific informed me that throughput is 1/2 that of a genuine Postscript
printer. GoScript is slow if executed in a slow system. I have tried GoScript
on a 25MHz 386 and was pleasantly surprised.

--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM