[comp.laser-printers] HPGL <-> PCL ??

alan@APLCEN.APL.JHU.EDU (2058) (09/14/89)

Hi all,
	I am interested in converting an HPGL file such as might
be created by a program for output to a plotter into a PCL file,
which (I think) is appropriate for output to an HP Laser Jet II.
If such a program is available I would appreciate a pointer to it.
I have a book explaining HPGL in great detail.  I don't know anything
about PCL right now.  Would it be too difficult to write a conversion
routine from scratch?
	Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide.

					Alan

P.S. Please post your response if possible, since I may not have access
     to this account for much longer, but will still have net access.

harald@lemon.ucsb.edu (Ommang, Harald) (10/06/89)

In article <8910051545.AA01165@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> alan@APLCEN.APL.JHU.EDU (2058) writes:

>Hi all,
>	I am interested in converting an HPGL file such as might
>be created by a program for output to a plotter into a PCL file,
>which (I think) is appropriate for output to an HP Laser Jet II.
>If such a program is available I would appreciate a pointer to it.

There used to be a shareware program called EASEL out there, now its is called
GCP. It runs under Windows. Contact Synergistic Enterprises, 8033 Sunset BLVD
#975, Los Angeles, CA 90046

Harald.

"Born in the ice-blue waters of the festooned Norwegian coast.."
         - Bertrand Meyer on object-oriented programming
Well, so was Harald Ommang.    harald%cornu@hub.ucsb.edu

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (10/07/89)

In article <8910051545.AA01165@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> alan@APLCEN.APL.JHU.EDU (2058) writes:
++>
++>Hi all,
++>	I am interested in converting an HPGL file such as might
++>be created by a program for output to a plotter into a PCL file,
++>which (I think) is appropriate for output to an HP Laser Jet II.
++>If such a program is available I would appreciate a pointer to it.
++>I have a book explaining HPGL in great detail.  I don't know anything
++>about PCL right now.  Would it be too difficult to write a conversion
++>routine from scratch?
++>	Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide.
++>
++>					Alan
++>

I have been using a cartridge from Pacific Data that does what you want.
it isn't very expensive (~$250) and works without a hitch.  The only thing
that I am not pleased with is that it comes up in the plotter mode and not
the laserjet mode and when you change back (via software or front panel) the
printer goes through the complete cold boot.  It does a much better job for
me than the drivers that came with the PCAD package.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

gernot@hpuviea.UUCP (Gernot Kunz) (10/10/89)

alan@APLCEN.APL.JHU.EDU (2058) writes:

>	I am interested in converting an HPGL file such as might
>be created by a program for output to a plotter into a PCL file,
>which (I think) is appropriate for output to an HP Laser Jet II.

I do have such a program. Anyone who is interested please send me
email.

Regards

Gernot

----
Gernot Kunz				gernot@hpuviea.UUCP
Hewlett-Packard Austria GmbH, 		...mcvax!tuvie!hpuviea!gernot
A-1220 Vienna, Austria			...hplabs!hpfcla!hpbbn!hpuviea!gernot
(0043) (222) 2500 x428 (9-18 CET)