[comp.laser-printers] what laser printer to buy ?

john@spock.UUCP (John Desrochers) (10/20/89)

I am posting this for a friend who has no direct net access;
I will collect any and all responses & pass them on him.
John

Mitel --> ...!uunet!mitel!spock!john

-----
greetings.

i must choose what laser printer our group is to purchase.
my boss has listed several features and restrictions, which are:

     - DEC compatibility :-(
     - speed over 10 pages per minutes (15 would be good)
     - large paper tray (500 pages/tray)
     - up to around 12000$ (canadian) (around 9000$ US)
       -- more if the printer is very good
     - be able to print TeX files
     - service in the montreal region a plus

i have added:

     - postscript compatibility
     - HP LaserJet and/or HP-GL emulation would be nice

the 500 sheet-tray seems unlikely to me; most of those i have
seen have 250 a sheet-tray with one or two optional supplementary trays.
also, i don't think TeX will need anything special, if the printer
uses postscript.  (am i wrong?)

my boss recently changed the priority of this from `think about it' to
`top-of-the-heap important'. most of the searching i have done has been in
digital review (05 december 1988 and 28 august 1989). i have come up
with the following printers which would be acceptable:

     - laser leader mark I (by BGL technology corp.)
     - LZR 1260 (dataproducts corp.)
     - LaserImage 3000-IS (personal computer products inc.)
     - QMS-PS 1500 (QMS inc.)
     - 1590 printstation (talaris)
     - PageLaser 12 (toshiba)
     - LCS 15-DSK (wang laboratories inc.)

any and all comments are welcome. in particular, i am looking for
your experiences with any of these printers, or with any you know which
would fit the above requirements. i would also appreciate sources
(other than digital review) on laser printers.

if there is sufficient interest, i will summarize and post
the answers i receive.

thanks in advance for your help.

marc desrochers
national research council, canada
-----
the government of canada is an equal opportunity destroyer.

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (10/29/89)

In article <8910201448.AA11309@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, john@spock.UUCP (John Desrochers) writes:
>      - laser leader mark I (by BGL technology corp.)
>      - LZR 1260 (dataproducts corp.)
>      - LaserImage 3000-IS (personal computer products inc.)
>      - QMS-PS 1500 (QMS inc.)
>      - 1590 printstation (talaris)
>      - PageLaser 12 (toshiba)
>      - LCS 15-DSK (wang laboratories inc.)

We are looking (very hard) at buying an IMAGEN 5320 XP.

From what it appears, this is a very heavy duty printer with
	20 ppm
	2000 sheet feeder
	2 x 250 sheet feeders
	Postscript etc

Does anyone have any experience with this printer??

I don't know where the Montreal office is, but try

	QMS Computer products 	(they bought out imagen)
	Calgary
	(403)266-3500

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

us214777@mmm.serc.3m.com (John C. Schultz) (10/30/89)

I purchased a LZR 1260 partially based on a demo and partially based on
a review that rated the LZR highly for a commercial strength laser printer.
I wanted a printer that was reasonably fast and could be expected to work
long after a Laserwriter II had given up.

My initial goals were high resolution because I like to print images.  However
since the same laser printer needed to serve as a line printer, I found the
print speed of the higher resolution printers unacceptable when printing
simple text (a software switchable high-low resolution mode would be nice).
BTW, the slow print speed at higher resolution comes from simply having to
manipulate more pixels to print the same area of paper - obvious when you
think about it.

Anyway, I ended up with the LZR 1260 running from a Sun 3/160, SunOS 4.0.3
using a /dev/ttya at 38400 baud.  We use a public domain text to PS filter
dvi2ps to print LaTeX dvi files, and Frame.  The unit is theoretically switchable
from HP emulation mode to PS mode but we could only get it to go from
HP to PS mode not from PS to HP mode.  We leave it in PS mode and use the
text to PS filter to have it emulate a lineprinter.  (This acutally has
advantages because it is easy to scale the font size and do landscape or
portrait mode printing.)

About the printer itself, I just followed the directions, and it worked in
about 20 minutes of setup time.  It came pretty disassembled but was easy
to put together.  A nice feature is an internal bubble level and some supplied
shims to make sure it is level.  I timed the print speed relative to a Laser
writer II for a simple text file and for a .5 MB image file.  The LZR at 38400
baud was took about 3 minutes to print the text file vs about 10 seconds longer
for the Laserwriter II (Appletalk connected to a VAX 11/780).

The suprising thing was that the .5 MB image file (a 512 x 512 x 8 bits/pixel
file Postscript's to .5 MB) printed almost twice as fast on the LZR as it
did on the Laserwriter II.

The only problems that I have seen are that the SUN print spooler seems to
slow the printer down somewhat and the paper transport squeaks.

The printer does have RS232, Appletalk, and Centronics parallel input if
that is of interest.

Perhaps the thing I like the best is that you can connect a terminal to a
diagnostic port and see the Postscript being executed and/or get errors.
You also have a relatively sophisticated menu pad on the printer from which
it is easy to select input data port, serial line parameters, etc.  You can
buy dual paper trays and lots of other things.   I think we paid about
$7,000.  For this price you get at least double the Laserwriter II
suggested copies per month. (I forget the exact number).
--
John C. Schultz                   EMAIL: jcschultz@mmm.3m.com
3M Company                        WRK: +1 (612) 733 4047

henry@utzoo.UUCP (11/16/89)

>... I think we paid about
>$7,000.  For this price you get at least double the Laserwriter II
>suggested copies per month. (I forget the exact number).

I hope this wasn't the major criterion for buying the printer.  If so,
you may have spent more than you had to.  The copies/month number for
big laser printers must be taken seriously, but there are people who
run the little Canon engines (LaserJet and Laserwriter families, for
example) at 10 times the rated copies/month with no ill effects.  We
don't go that far, but it would be a very unusual month in which we
*didn't* exceed the copies/month spec.  Those print engines are very
tolerant of abuse, much more so than their more expensive cousins.

(Consider:  what exactly would go wrong at higher print rates?  The
big printers get various forms of maintenance every N weeks, but most
everything on the little Canon printers happens when you change the
cartridge... and if you print more, you change cartridges more often.)

If you want a commercial maintenance contract, mind you, that may be
a constraint.  Maintenance companies get upset when you violate even
meaningless specs.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (11/22/89)

In <8911150344.AA03590@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>
  Danny Wilson <danny@idacom.UUCP> writes:
>I don't know where the Montreal office is, but try
>
>	QMS Computer products 	(they bought out imagen)

From a glossy dated 7/89, their head office is:

  QMS Canada, Inc.
  9692 Trans Canada Highway
  St. Laurent, Quebec
  Canada  H4S 1V9

  +1 514 333 5940
  FAX:   ... 5949

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john