[comp.laser-printers] reset password on LaserWriter?

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (11/29/89)

SOMEONE must have experienced this before.  One of the groups
we support has an Apple LaserWriter.  One of the people who used
to run it set the password on the board and has left without
letting anyone else know what it was.  The local dealer's response
is to tell us to replace the entire I/O board.  I assume there SHOULD
be a way of swapping out the EEPROM with a fresh one without having
to swap the entire board.  I would HOPE that there's a way of resetting
the thing to factory spec without having to rip it out at all.  Any
help will be GREATLY appreciated.

						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming Tools Group
UUCP: ...!att!mtune!rkh			DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T Bell Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (12/03/89)

In article <8912020336.AA21454@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:

> SOMEONE must have experienced this before.  One of the groups
> we support has an Apple LaserWriter.  One of the people who used
> to run it set the password on the board and has left without
> letting anyone else know what it was.  The local dealer's response
> is to tell us to replace the entire I/O board.  I assume there SHOULD
> be a way of swapping out the EEPROM with a fresh one without having
> to swap the entire board.

Yup, there is a way, but it takes time. Write a loop (in Postscript) that
increments a variable. For each run thru the loop, call the checkpassword
(I'm not sure this is the real name for that function -- check your printer
manual) function to see if this is the correct password. If found, do an
exitserver using the correct password (which you just found) and reset
it to 0.

As I said, there are over 4 billion possible passwords, so this is likely
to take some time.

Once you have set the password, WRITE IT DOWN!

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB