[comp.laser-printers] Ricoh

purvis@cpsc.ucalgary.CA (Derek Purvis) (11/02/89)

Does any one have any opinions about the Ricoh 6000PS LaserPrinter?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Derek Purvis

pjh%mccc@PRINCETON.EDU (Pete Holsberg) (11/16/89)

=
=Any feedback would be appreciated...
=
=Derek Purvis

It's very slow -- 5 ppm AFTER the first one for straight text.  The
toner is not in sealed cartridges so adding toner might be messy.  The
paper slot doesn't hold as many sheets as our AST Turbolaser/PS.  But
tyhe price is right.  My dealer says "under $2700".
--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam Quin) (12/09/89)

pjh%mccc@PRINCETON.EDU (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> purvis@cpsc.ucalgary.CA (Derek Purvis) writes:
>=Does any one have any opinions about the Ricoh 6000PS LaserPrinter?
>=Any feedback would be appreciated...

I have only used the hp clone with (as far as I know ) the same engine.
It is one of the better HP clones.

>It's very slow -- 5 ppm AFTER the first one for straight text.
Don't know.  The hp clone (e.g. Acer LP-75) is rated slower than a
LaserJet, but actually prints noticeably faster.

>The toner is not in sealed cartridges so adding toner might be messy.
Certainly true.  Actually the messy part is removing the old cartridge.
But the toner is much, much cheaper than Canon Engine Toner, and you are
not forced to replace the entire drum assembly.

>The paper slot doesn't hold as many sheets as our AST Turbolaser/PS.
But it is very, very easy to put more paper in, as there's no tray to pull
out.  Also, it holds more paper than you expect.

>But the price is right.  My dealer says "under $2700".
Well, that sounds good!

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)