[comp.laser-printers] QMS Colorscript and Color postscript ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/08/89)

	Can someone give me a primer on color postscript ?

	Basically: we are interested in buying a QMS Colorscript 100 printer to
print 24-bit RGB images. Is this a good idea ? More specifically, how
complicated will it be to write the necessary programs, to, for example, take
a 24-bit raw raster image with color lookup table and output it on the QMS.
Who will do the color dithering ? How long will a 512x512x3 image take to
transfer ?
	Does anyone have a better way of producing good quality color image
output for less than $10K ?
	Please email responses. Thanks.
				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.edu
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

geof@SMILEY.STANFORD.EDU (Geof Cooper) (12/29/89)

In article <8912262204.AA05372@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
>	Can someone give me a primer on color postscript ?
There is a nice document from Adobe that describes it.  You can get
it in postscript form from their network server.  Try calling them up
or sending mail to adobe to find out how to do this.

>	Basically: we are interested in buying a QMS Colorscript 100 printer to
>print 24-bit RGB images. Is this a good idea ? More specifically, how
>complicated will it be to write the necessary programs, to, for example, take
>a 24-bit raw raster image with color lookup table and output it on the QMS.
>Who will do the color dithering ? How long will a 512x512x3 image take to
>transfer ?

This is pretty good, but realize that this is not a gray-scale printer.
The gray scale info will be simulated using the same kind of dithering
approach that a laserwriter uses to simulate gray levels.  The results are
certainly worth looking at, but are not photographic quality.

As for speed, calculate the time it takes using your favorite communications
line to transmit the image (512*512*3 bytes) and add about 20 seconds to
actually print the thing.  That's about how fast it will run.

- Geof