[comp.laser-printers] Wanted: LaserMaster Mac info

alex@grian.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) (01/24/90)

I am very curious about the new (well, last ComDex)
LaserMaster 1000 x 400 printer that
they're pushing for Macs.  Nowhere in their literature do they mention
those key letters, "PostScript".  Do they not have same, or are they
being cagey?  Does anyone have experience with this beastie?  I have
great respect for their print quality, but no knowledge on this
particular product.

	Thanks,
		Alex

russ%prism@GATECH.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (02/08/90)

In article <9002072153.AA21407@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, alex@grian.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) writes:
> I am very curious about the new (well, last ComDex)
> LaserMaster 1000 x 400 printer that
> they're pushing for Macs.  Nowhere in their literature do they mention
> those key letters, "PostScript".  Do they not have same, or are they
> being cagey?  Does anyone have experience with this beastie?  I have
> great respect for their print quality, but no knowledge on this
> particular product.

I am not CERTAIN about this, but here's what I THINK is the case:

They do NOT have postscript BUT they DO have:

a) 35 bitstream fonts which are analogs to the std. postscript set
b) a conversion program that'll transform postscript doc's as necessary
   for the proper effect to come out on the printer.

Call'em to make sure!

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Frank J. Wancho") (02/09/90)

Alex,

The LM1000 is not a PostScript printer.  There is a software
PostScript emulation program LaserMaster provides with the package if
you really need to print a PostScript file.  The package includes all
the drivers and fonts for the major applications programs to provide
all of the features, and then some, of a PostScript printer, only much
faster and at much higher resolution.

I have been using their LC2 Enhanced Plus product for almost two years
now in a PC configuration.  I would dearly love to move up to their PC
version of the LM1000 to get the increased resolution.

For more information, find a local FidoNet node which carries the
LaserMaster ECHO, or check into the home base of the Desktop
Publishing node at 408-629-1883/1885.

--Frank

boerm@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Michael Boer) (02/09/90)

In article <9002072153.AA21407@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> alex@grian.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>I am very curious about the new (well, last ComDex)
>LaserMaster 1000 x 400 printer that
>they're pushing for Macs.  Nowhere in their literature do they mention
>those key letters, "PostScript".  Do they not have same, or are they
>being cagey?

The LaserMaster products do not use PostScript, per se.  They use LaserMaster
technology which is very truly much faster than PostScript.

In their DOS products, they provide a utility program for dumping PostScript
files to their controllers.  This utility does not work at all under DOS
4.01.  Under DOS 3.2, it works with speeds equivalent to what you would
expect with a normal PostScript printer.  However, I have had problems with
1 pt rules coming out as hairlines and other things similar to that.

Since their literature promises a level of PostScript compatibility, I have
been somewhat disappointed.  However, using the LaserMaster as the direct
output for PageMaker, MS Word, WordPerfect, and other apps has been more
than satisfactory.

I would like to hear from other LaserMaster DOS users...