[comp.laser-printers] LPS20 -- User info wanted

jmr@NADA.KTH.SE (Jan Michael Rynning) (01/24/90)

In article <9001230340.AA13706@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:
>The LPS20 Laserprinter from DEC seems an interesting printer. According to
>its specification this printer has the following abilities:
> [...]
> d) can be hooked up to DECnet and/or TCP/IP (network printer).

According to a DEC salesman I talked to, the printer can only be hooked
up to DECnet, so if you want to use TCP/IP with it, you'll need an ULTRIX
machine as a gateway.  He also told me that the software that runs on the
ULTRIX machine doesn't support the UNIX LPD protocol, so you'll have to
implement DEC's proprietary printer protocol on your TCP/IP machines.

>[...]
>How does TeX-output look like? I remember a complain made by Peter Flynn
>regarding the poor quality of the LPS40. I would be pleased to see how this
>is solved (if it's solved) with the LPS20.
>
>(Here a copy of the complain made by Peter Flynn:
>>>[...] Any rule below 1pt is likely to suffer from varying
>>>numbers of pixels being printed, depending on where in the page it falls.
>>>[...]

That sounds like a PostScript programming problem rather than a problem
with the printer itself.  I had that problem myself with another printer,
and solved it by doing appropriate rounding of the coordinate values in
the device coordinate space.

Jan Michael Rynning,			jmr@nada.kth.se
Department of Numerical Analysis	If you can't fully handle domains:
  and Computing Science,		ARPA: jmr%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net
Royal Institute of Technology,		UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr
S-100 44 Stockholm,			BITNET: jmr@sekth
Sweden.					Phone: +46-8-7906288

ntitley@axion.bt.co.uk (Nigel Titley) (02/08/90)

In article <9002072151.AA21158@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, jmr@NADA.KTH.SE (Jan
Michael Rynning) writes:

> In article <9001230340.AA13706@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>
rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:
> >The LPS20 Laserprinter from DEC seems an interesting printer. According to
> >its specification this printer has the following abilities:
> > [...]
> > d) can be hooked up to DECnet and/or TCP/IP (network printer).
>
> According to a DEC salesman I talked to, the printer can only be hooked
> up to DECnet, so if you want to use TCP/IP with it, you'll need an ULTRIX
> machine as a gateway.  He also told me that the software that runs on the
> ULTRIX machine doesn't support the UNIX LPD protocol, so you'll have to
> implement DEC's proprietary printer protocol on your TCP/IP machines.

You can now buy two variants of the LPS20/40 software. One is decnet based
and one is tcp/ip. There also exist VMS/DECNET, ULTRIX/DECNET clients.

I've got specs and prices right here on my desk.

We, unfortunately are stuck with a couple of VMS machines on a largely UNIX
network so it looks like we'll have to go for the decnet version.

Email: NTitley@axion.bt.co.uk
Snail: British Telecom Research labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
"Well, I'm disenchanted too. We're all disenchanted." (James Thurber)

chet@CWNS1.INS.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (02/09/90)

Michael Rynning) writes:

> According to a DEC salesman I talked to, the printer can only be hooked
> up to DECnet, so if you want to use TCP/IP with it, you'll need an ULTRIX
> machine as a gateway.

This much is true.

> He also told me that the software that runs on the
> ULTRIX machine doesn't support the UNIX LPD protocol, so you'll have to
> implement DEC's proprietary printer protocol on your TCP/IP machines.

I'm running the Printserver Decnet software on an Ultrix 3.0 machine, with
few problems.  The `Printserver Client' software that I'm running came with
an updated/enhanced lpr/lpd system.  I can print just fine from other Unix
machines to the LPS20 via the Ultrix machine using the regular 4.3 BSD lpd
software.

Chet Ramey				"Can't you pay a grad student to
Network Services Group			 read the manual for you?"
Case Western Reserve University			-- Bill Wisner,
chet@ins.CWRU.Edu				   	to Peter Honeyman