[comp.laser-printers] Memory for LJIIP

philba@microsoft.UUCP (06/19/90)

In article <9006190354.AA22038@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> nlbeck@UCSD.EDU (Nathaniel Beck) writes:

>I am new to this group so apologies if this question has been asked
>a million times.
>
>I just got a LaserJetIIP and need another meg of memory to print
>300dpi graphics. The price on HP 1M boards seems high (best price I
>found locally is low $200's). Are there third party vendor boards
>that are 100% compatible with HP at lower price? I also would
>appreciate any tips on good mail order places to get the boards, but
>with the name of a board I am pretty good at letting my fingers do
>the walking.

The backs of PC-Weak and InfoWorld (as well as all of computer shopper)
carry lots of adds for LJ IIP enhancement products.  I bought a 1Mb IIP
expansion for $179 a couple of months ago by mail order from UniTex.  It
was made by Jet and so far, no complaints.  It's got sockets so I can blow
it out to 4Mb in 1Mb increments when I want to.  It takes 256Kx4 chips
($7..9 range).  I have also seen and heard good things about the Pacific
Data Product Expansion RAM card but it seems to be a bit pricier.

I would shop around using the latest weeklies.  When I called UniTex and
innocently asked what the price on the card was, they quoted a price higher
than their add.  The saleswoman acted very embarrased when I pointed out
the lower price in PC-Weak (but I got the lower price).  They quoted 3
day delivery but it showed up the next morning.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably just get the 2Mb version, though.

Phil Barrett
the above opinions are mine and do not
necessarily represent those of microsoft.

HANK%POLYVM@VM.POLY.EDU (Hank Lee) (06/20/90)

    I put a Pacific Data memory card into my IIP.  The board was populated
with one meg and had an empty bank in which you could later populate with
another meg at a later date.  This board cost $230 after an HP discount.
Putting in the extra meg would cost a lot less than a HP 2 meg board and
was more versatile than HP 1 meg board

Hank Lee
Polytechnic University
Acknowledge-To: <HANK@POLYVM>