[comp.laser-printers] LaserMaster -- Any Ideas

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (06/24/90)

I read an article about these in a desktop publishing magazine.  They work
by controlling the laser more finely than is usual.  The paper feed is
still only 300 lines per inch, but they fit more than one dot per line with
careful control of the laser.

The article provided print samples from a 300dpi printer, a LaserMaster,
and some phototypesetters.  The LaserMaster really did look better than
300dpi print, but their claims of "RIP phototypesetters" are hype.

The article I read concluded that LaserMasters are nifty gadgets that some
people will want to buy, depending on their needs.

To read the facts for yourself, track down the article I read.  This article
appeared, I believe, in _Publish_ magazine.  They used to be _Publish!_
magazine, with a "!" on the end; this issue was the first issue where they
decided to omit the "!" from their name.  I can't be more precise than
that; sorry.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

dale@lightning.UUCP (Dale Mensch) (06/28/90)

In article <9006190354.AA22008@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton--Desktops Spoke Here) writes:
> There's this outfit called LaserMaster Corporation advertising
> Anybody out there have any knowledge of this outfit, exactly
> what they sell, and how real they are?
I worked with several software guys that are now at LaserMaster.
At lunch last week, one of them told me that their access to any
sort of network communication outside the facility is non-existent
(don't expect them to reply/defend/explain anything here).

They seem to be real.  The local paper had an article on them
recently: ca. $18M revenue in the last 9 months.  LaserMaster
also recently bought The Company, an outline font supplier
(a Bitstream spinoff?).

LaserMaster is real PC (more recently Macs, too) oriented:
Windows drivers, Windows screen drivers, high-res QuickDraw
printers, etc.

Beyond the hype, some printer tech publication (Seybold? Publish?
MacUser??) recently stated that they can do halftones at 1000x400.
Not a *REAL* typesetter (ie: addressability vs. resolution).
They've run recent want ads looking for toner chemists, so who
knows what they've got...

-----
"Half guesses, half supposition, all disclaimed."
Dale Mensch-Xerox Corp/Intran Operation.-Mpls. MN.- uunet!intran!dale